Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

High Density Plantings, rootstock quandry

Posted by John Wood 
High Density Plantings, rootstock quandry
May 29, 2014 02:28AM
I am going to be planting a High Density plot this coming spring. The goal of this is to cram lots of trees into a small space and keep them pretty short (8-10 feet max) So that they can be covered to protect from late frosts which are a big problem on my site.

So here is the question is it better to:

1: plant dwarfed trees (i.e. bud 9) which will produce faster but require more care and expense (irrigation, weed control, Trellising or serious staking)

OR

2: plant larger growing root stock (i.e. Bud 118 EMLA 7 or 111) which will be freestanding and less fickle, and control their size with pruning

the pragmatist in me says I should do both, and then phase out the smaller trees as the larger ones start producing more.

My biggest problem is finding a resource on how best to prune larger trees into a high density planting

Thanks for any thoughts
John

P.S. this is a market orchard in the making in S.E. Ohio
Re: High Density Plantings, rootstock quandry
May 30, 2014 04:18AM
I would personally plant bud 9's and do the all trellising thing…you can plant them 3 to 6 feet apart. I can't see how you are going to plant MM111 in high density, even pruning them at your best.
I planted in 2010 200 crimson crisp and goldrush on bud 9 with trellises, and the amount of apples are producing on their 4th year, is just unbelievable. Also the sprayer covers much better the dwarf trees then MM111's.
I'm not a fan of dwarf trees but if you want high density, it is the way to go, in my opinion.

Westwind Orchard
Zone 5b in New York
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login