Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Grafting and fireblight

Posted by Claude Jolicoeur 
Grafting and fireblight
April 05, 2020 11:06AM
I have a question...
Can fireblight propagate by grafting?
Assuming there is no fireblight in an orchard, and I topgraft a scion that is apparently healthy but may come from an orchard where fireblight is present, is there any risk to introduce the blight and infect the tree - and eventually the whole orchard?
Thanks,
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Re: Grafting and fireblight
April 07, 2020 11:26AM
Surprised no one chimed in on this.
I was asked the question but couldn't give a definitive answer.
My intuition is there is no problem. For a simple reason - I have grafted in my orchard some scion wood from a great number of sources and this practically every yeart for the least 30 years at least. Obviously some of it must have come from an orchard where there was some blight present.
And I have never had any fire blight in my orchard.

So one of the following... either:
- I have bee hugely lucky to have escaped it.
- Fire blight cannot survive in my orchard for whatever reason.
- Fire blight doesn't transmit through grafting wood.

Please let's hear your opinion!
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
April 13, 2020 08:33PM
Wow- no fireblight ever !?! Is it because the main language in your orchard is french ? winking smiley I was in Normandy a couple years ago and everyone there said fireblight doesn't affect them.

Josh Klatt
Ohio River Valley
Zone 6b
April 13, 2020 11:15PM
Maybe there is simply no fireblight inoculum in the region where my orchard is - which is fairly remote.
Something similar (maybe?) happened with pear scab. Apple scab there has always been, but the orchard has been free of pear scab for over 20 years. But then, Flemish Beauty (which is known to be sensitive) started having some one year, not much but some nevertheless. It took 2 more years but after that all pears from Flemish Beauty and Southworth trees have been entirely black and worthless. I have topgrafted them. The other varieties are OK.
Could something similar happen with fireblight? I don't know...

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login