Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

mulching over drip irrigation emmiters

Posted by Erica Hockett 
mulching over drip irrigation emmiters
March 14, 2014 02:54PM
We are all set to start our green wood chip (ramial) mulching this Spring. I have a question about putting mulch on top of drip irrigation emitters. Do folks put the mulch around or on top of them? Ours tend to break now and again and need fixing and this would be hard to spot if they were covered with alot of mulch. Does anyone have experience of this?
Many thanks, Erica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 06:05PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: mulching over drip irrigation emmiters
March 14, 2014 11:19PM
I do not put ramial mulch on top of emitters (on trees where I use drip). One of the great things about 'haphazard mulching', within the holistic methodology, is that you can simply dump an entire pile here and there, easily avoiding an emitter, or allowing an emitter to quickly be moved a few feet one way or the other.

I don't think burying them is going to be a greater benefit vs the need to find them throughout the season to clear plugging, repair lines that have been nibbled on, replace or change orifices, etc. . . That said, I would not bury them under the mulch due to the lack of visibility standpoint alone.

If you plan to spread mulch all the way around the trees, I would mulch around the emitters themselves, or move the emitters to accommodate the mulch placements you desire.

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 09:54PM by Michael Phillips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login