Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Sour milk

Posted by Brandt Schisler 
Sour milk
April 17, 2020 03:57PM
Question pertaining to Milk- what if the raw milk is not fresh, but has spoiled rather? Would it still be good to use in a holistic spray?

Thank you,
Brandt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 05:58PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Sour milk
April 18, 2020 07:21AM
Here's how to think about such things, Brandt. Calcium is still in that sour milk. Perhaps more to the point, how have the microbes shifted? Certainly those versatile Lactobacilli are still going strong. Who is new on the scene? Is that good or bad or indifferent? Fermentation will have converted the lactose sugar to lactic acid, which gives unpasteurized milk a sour flavor. Once introduced onto the tree, those nutrients and microbes are very likely going to become resources for the arboreal food web. What's known about sour milk that would indicate otherwise?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2020 10:41AM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Sour milk
June 17, 2020 09:42AM
Thank you much for your response Michael, it is only now that I have seen it. My thoughts were along the lines that the Lactobacilli have only become stronger thus creating the sour milk in the first place. There is clear and evident separation within the milk which would make me think it is the whey protein that is separating from the buttermilk making it all that better to apply to the trees.

I have truly been adding it to the calcium tea brew in my 55 gallon barrels. I can't put my finger on the exact culprit, but I have a feeling that it is the raw milk that creates the engrossing smell 14 days later and there seems to be a slight film on the top of the brew that looks as if the buttermilk raised to the top and started to get mold on it. The tea has been applied onto my trees multiple times without any negative effect observed as of yet.

Thank you!
Brandt

Hickory Ridge Orchard
Zone 6a in Missouri
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login