Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

A sticker for Surround

Posted by Peter Fisher 
A sticker for Surround
May 18, 2017 03:04PM
I have a note that says Michael recommends adding a little neem oil to the first Surround spray to get it to adhere better. What about using Therm-X instead? Or something else less expensive than neem? Or adding Surround to Spring Holistic Spray #3?

Turkey Creek Orchard
Solon, Iowa (zone 5A)
Re: A sticker for Surround
May 18, 2017 04:06PM
Consider that you are constructing a clay particle matrix on the surface of leaves and blossom cluster stems. The base coat potentially provides latching points for subsequent clay particles that indeed cannot be stuck (as such must flake off on insect pests to be effective). This may well be overthinking things but it's rather easy to add 5# of Surround per 100 to the petal fall application. Spring3 goes on before the full-rate Surround apps for curculio and crowd anyway. Then you get on enough Surround to start to make things seriously white. We each have weather and site parameters to how this plays out. Here in Lost Nation, I often hit the pears, cherries, and plums only that week of "average apple petal fall" as most apple fruitlets aren't yet of egg-laying size. This could so easily vary at a different site, be it a warm spring, or significant codling moth (laying eggs near apples that particular week), or just the way your varietal profile plays out. Anyhow, Spring4 follows the next week, definitely now putting an oily lock over earlier Surround. That week of "first cover" I apply full-rate clay to all trees . . . along with spinosad because of significant sawfly. Here. Because. Which helps to get even some of the curculio now weakened by the clay irritant. Often this ends the clay apps in my orchard for the season. I have limited plum curculio and a whole lot more apple curculio which seems readily impacted by the spinosad synergy.

We all play a slightly different melody this time of year. Always visualize how things work as you tweak things to meet dynamics at your site. Starting with that light base coat of refined kaolin clay as part of Spring3 is easy enough to do. But after that, never ever stick the clay!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login