Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

spinosad subtleties

Posted by Michael Phillips 
spinosad subtleties
July 13, 2017 09:15AM
There's some confusion afoot concerning spinosad formulations. I date quart bottles of "entrust" as to when received, knowing there's a limited shelf life for this Dow AgroSciences product of three years at best. The label on the quart dated Summer 2015 states a range of 6 to 10 ounces of Entrust SC per acre for the majority of orchard pests listed. Yet you can also find a current label for 2017 on the web that states a range of 2 to 3 ounces of Entrust per acre. Feeling ready for subtleties?

Here's how the active ingredient portion of spinosad A & spinosad D play out:
• Entrust 80%
• Entrust SC 22.5%
• Conserve SC 11.6%
• Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew 0.5%

This came to a head in talking with a Canadian grower when I shared that my application rate for "entrust" is 8 ounces per acre. She insisted it was the lower numbers given above. So goes the international twist . . . yet any label not in metric units suggests that the higher spinosad product is available in the states somewhere. Also be aware that some suppliers list "entrust" without the follow-up letters but actually it's the 22.5% formulation.

Entrust SC ranges in price from $331 to $525 a quart (as of this spring). Is anyone getting the 80% formulation? And if so, at what acreage price? My cost per application of Entrust SC (at the 8 ounce rate) is $92.50 per acre, including shipping cost. Similarly, Conserve SC ranges in price from $125 to $144 a quart (as of this spring). Is anyone using the 11.6% formulation? And if so, at what acreage price?

Finally, let's figure out how to "site ferment" Saccharopolyspora spinosa (a naturally occurring soil organism) and be done with Dow AgroSciences all together!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 09:04AM by Michael Phillips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login