Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Holistic Spray timing Blueberries

Posted by Philip Hopkins 
Holistic Spray timing Blueberries
February 20, 2018 01:13PM
We've had some warm weather lately and my blueberries are in the early stages of bud break-just a hint of green on some and obvious bud swelling on others.
Is the timing for the spring holistic sprays the same as for apples? The first spray is recommended at quarter inch green in apples. How does this stage correlate with blueberries with their smaller leaves?

Thanks,
Philip Hopkins
Re: Holistic Spray timing Blueberries
February 25, 2018 10:57AM
I apply holistic apps to assorted berry plantings, doing this when I spray the overall orchard according to the bud stages of apple. The early bloom of stone fruits might be dealt with one beat ahead . . . but otherwise I'm not going to complicate the plan by getting so exacting about the pace of every other crop species. Timing in one respect is about boosting plant defenses when particular disease pressure needs to be faced, such as apple scab or the blossom phase of brown rot on stone fruits. The nutritional and biological boosts provided by the holistic core recipe (fish, seaweed, neem, microbes) otherwise serve as a good plant tonic applied on a biweekly basis. So the question is, Philip, are you speaking about particular disease pressures faced by blueberries on your site and thus a need to jumpstart induced resistance? Otherwise relax and let "tree timing" be your guide.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
February 26, 2018 06:00AM
The earliest pest we noticed last year was aphids soon after the blueberries leafed out in mid-March. I believe that we also had some bud mite damage on the fruits that escaped our picking of the blossoms that first spring after planting.
We also had some powdery mildew, but not widespread.
With the wet and very warm month we've had, many of the plants are in the very early leaf stages. I'm concerned both about the early emergence of these pests and diseases, as well as the effect of neem on the tender young leaves.
The final concern is the probability of a killing frost between now and April. I remember reading in your book about kelp providing a few degrees of frost protection.
Should I take any preventive measures at this point? How about dormant oil instead of neem in the holistic spray?
Thanks,
Philip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 06:17PM by Michael Phillips.
February 28, 2018 12:17PM
Hi, Philip.
It would be helpful to the rest of the forum if we knew what zone and state in which you are located.

That way we all can be looking out for similar occurrences in our locale.

Cheers,

John

Honey Meadow Farm, LLC
Southwestern New Hampshire, Zone 5A
February 28, 2018 01:34PM
John
I’m in Northeast Tennessee zone 7
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login