Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Fermented Nettle Tea mix with holistic spray

Posted by Philip Hopkins 
Fermented Nettle Tea mix with holistic spray
June 08, 2018 05:41PM
Has anybody tank mixed the fermented Nettle tea with the rest of the holistic spray components including:
Neem Oil
Karanja Oil (my addition)
Molasses
Liquid Fish
Liquid Kelp
Sea Minerals
Yucca Extract (surfactant instead of soap)

Japanese beetles have been a problem in the past, so that's what I would be spraying for as soon as they emerge (usually mid-late June in our area).

By the way, I would be using this on apples, pears and blueberries.

Thanks.
Re: Fermented Nettle Tea mix with holistic spray
June 09, 2018 07:53AM
Nettle is a tonic herb whereby herbalists refer to its array of phytonutrients as good for health in general. A fermented plant extract allows us as growers to get the green goodness of nettle into solution to apply to the tree canopy. Food as medicine for plants, you might say. All this fits the holistic paradigm to support system health. And so yes, herbal teas can be tank mixed with fatty acids and microbes and kelp and sea minerals and even specific formulations of trace minerals. Nutrients and organisms do in not contraindicate the other, generally speaking. Multiple mechanisms are in fact key to eliciting a broad induced systemic response. I have done this and shared about this for years and years.

I've come to realize since first seeing this type of query where the divide lies. Allopathic spray tools are directed at specific symptoms by means of active ingredients, the percentage of which is always stated on the label. Chemical agriculture deals with all sorts of these contraindications when it comes to tank mixes. Similarly, growers using organic mineral fungicides (copper, sulfur, lime-sulfur) must give thought to how the harshness of such affects good organisms. Both those already on the surface of the tree and especially those being added to the spray tank, if applying effective microorganisms or some variant of compost tea. The organic tool box for insect pests includes specific biological toxins like granulosis or spinosad. There's nuance to applying these materials, starting with the pH of the spray solution. The holistic core recipe tends to be acidic and accordingly I generally aim to apply insect-oriented toxins separately. Effective use of Surround fits this picture as the refined kaolin clay should not be applied with fats as otherwise the clay particles would not readily flake off onto the insect. Biological fungicides like Serenade also require that growers take spray tank pH into consideration.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 09:08AM by Michael Phillips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login