Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Cleaning

Posted by Nathaniel Bouman 
Cleaning
June 11, 2018 03:01PM
Got a pretty solid film of fatty acids, oils and sulfur stuck to the outside of my tractor and sprayer. Anything recommended to put in the sprayer to use to clean off the tractor?

Nat Bouman
Growing cider varieties in Zone 5b
On B.118 at 18X24
Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
Re: Cleaning
June 13, 2018 04:15PM
I used stylet (high grade mineral oil) to scrub lime sulfur off a tractor this year but I wouldnt do it again, it's liable to melt any o-rings it could come into contact with. Otherwise, I've been using the purple solvent cleaner from NAPA, works well. I use a power washer and hand scrubbing, I'm not sure a garden hose or wand sprayer would cut it unless to jack it up to 3-400 PSI.

Someone recommended that one rub sprayers down with oil BEFORE spraying anything substantially sticky, haven't had a chance to try it but should keep too much stuff from sticking as you spray.
June 13, 2018 07:19PM
I have two words for everyone interested in this thread: Turtle Wax. Actually, any car wax will do. Apply this to your tractor, sprayer, operator, barn, etc. and lime sulfur will not affix itself and the cleaning process will be effortless. so to speak.

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
June 22, 2018 01:11AM
Nutra sol is what is usually recommended for cleaning residues in sprayers. It should work on the outside of the equipment too. We coat our tractor and sprayer with horticultural oil before using lime sulfur. Then it washes off better.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 01:12AM by Zea Sonnabend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login