Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

silica tea

Posted by David Mobley 
silica tea
February 24, 2019 12:39PM
I am confused and looking for assistance on the "horsetail" additive for the silica tea. I am in NE Missouri and horsetail for us is an annual weed and looks nothing like the pictures I have seen of the horsetail used for tea. Is the horsetail I need for the tea something I can buy seeds for, and if so, what is the botanical name of the horsetail I need for the tea?
I appreciate the help and advise on how I may find this plant.
David Mobley
Re: silica tea
February 24, 2019 03:08PM
I found the answer to my question. Equisetum arvense is the botanical name. Anyone have any thoughts about where I could get some?
Thanks
David
February 24, 2019 06:27PM
Hi David,

I suspect your Horsetail is in fact Mare's-tail - two very different plants. But, yes you did indeed, find the true horsetail in Equisetum arvense. When you ask, "where I could get some?" I assume you mean live plants or propagules. But just in case you're not, you can find dried horsetail from Josephine Porter Institute as the dried herb. However, I suspect you were asking how to grow it. Well, it likes cooler, moist areas and presumably somewhat acidic, though I have seen it in a wide range of habitats. I have tried to transplant it and as long as it goes from like site to like site, then it can be transplanted and will rapidly take over wherever you plant (so be careful what you wish for). However, I did try once to plant it from a cool wet site to a drier site and failed miserably. It can reproduce via rhizomes (underground spreading structures) and spores (yes, that's right!). There isn't seed you can buy, though I suspect you can collect spores like you would collect from mushrooms to fungal propagation, though I've never tried it. Here is propagation protocol if you're interested. As well, here is a great article describing the use of horsetail as a biodynamic tea. Good luck!

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
February 24, 2019 09:13PM
Thanks very much. I appreciate the help.
David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login