Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Fall Holistic Spray - Freezing Temps

Posted by Peter Drevniok 
Fall Holistic Spray - Freezing Temps
November 10, 2019 03:33PM
Winter has arrived early here again like 2018.
I still have not applied a final holistic spray.
We are forecasted to recieve 5 -10 cm of snow tomorrow.
The mildest forecasted day during the next 7 days is a high of -2 degrees celsius.
Shall I go ahead and spray and or just wait till next spring?
Thanks.

Peter Drevniok
Maxwell Mountain Orchards
Wakefield, Qc
zone 4
Re: Fall Holistic Spray - Freezing Temps
November 12, 2019 07:50AM
Two days ago I gave up on the idea of an orchard-wide, fall holistic application, Peter. This snow and the coming of deep cold made really left me no choice. I actually had to thaw my PakTank sprayer in order to run anti-freeze through it. I did take the opportunity to first use up the bottom of the barrels respectively of liquid fish and effective microbes, spraying that mix on compost piles and along two edge rows of the orchard where deer tend to enter (thinking the smell of fish might deter that pattern!) I feel lucky to have gotten the sprayer winterized properly as I look out at a white landscape this morning.

Missing the fall app can be made up in spring at budbreak. What I now refer to as the "Start Me Up" period as described in the June 2018 edition of the Community Orchardist newsletter. And in truth, in a clean orchard with minimal scab and minimal leaf blotch, possibly even skipped outright some years. The 2019 season was such a year here.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login