Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Which Silky pruning saw?

Posted by Josh Willis 
Which Silky pruning saw?
April 19, 2018 06:43PM
I'm just now reading about the wonders of Silky pruning saws. This is what my family gets for Orcharding in our own little corner with rusty band saws for too long winking smiley

But which to get - there seem to be a million versions.

Large tooth size?

~8"?

Folding / not? Holster?

Super not large scale question, I know. Yet would love to learn from your own lessons rather than my own.

Thanks!

-Josh

PS: As an aside, a plug for Fiskars' extendable tree pruner. It broke during our pruning this year...wherein I discovered their lifetime warranty. Then, during shipping, somehow a 'replacement part' turned into a whole new 'replacement pruner.' Works for me!

Earthworks
Zone 7a in West-Central MD
Re: Which Silky pruning saw?
April 20, 2018 08:47AM
Josh Willis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm just now reading about the wonders of Silky pruning saws.
> But which to get - there seem to be a million versions.
> Large tooth size? Folding / not? Holster?

I have a couple of Big Boy folding type. One is medium pitch (8.5 teeth per inch) and the other the fine pitch (11 tpi). Both are good, the medium cuts a bit faster, and the fine might make a slightly cleaner job, but the difference is minimal.
So, yes they are good, but not really better than other good quality pruning saws like ARS or Bahco.
What I like of the Big Boy models is the length: the blade is 14 inches (and the handle is same), so you get close to 28 inches total length, which gives a quite long reach to get to branches that are a bit far away from you.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
April 23, 2018 06:31PM
I currently have two Silky Folding Straight Blade saws

Gomboy 240mm with a medium tooth blade at 8.5tpi
[www.silkysaws.com]

PocketBoy 170mm with large tooth blade at 7tpi
[www.silkysaws.com]

I use the Gomboy more than the PocketBoy.

I previously had a . . .
TakeruBoy 270mm with Extra Fine tooth blades on two sides at 11tpi on the top and 18.6tpi on the bottom
[www.silkysaws.com]

Claudes point on the longer saw length for reaching that little further out is a good one. I've gotten on my tippy toes more than a few times while pruning (trying to avoid going back to grab a ladder)

The Silky saws are wonderfully sharp too

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
April 25, 2018 03:58PM
Thanks, Claude and Paul. I wouldn't have thought the medium tpi is way to go, that's good to know.

I've also considered the longer reach, esp. for our (too) tall mature trees...was worried the extra length might get in the way sometimes, but I suspect keeping multiple sizes on hand will just be the norm. winking smiley

Thanks again.

Earthworks
Zone 7a in West-Central MD
April 25, 2018 05:11PM
Josh Willis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've also considered the longer reach, esp. for our (too) tall mature trees...was worried the
> extra length might get in the way sometimes, but I suspect keeping multiple sizes on hand will just
> be the norm. winking smiley

Yes you will definitely need 2 saws. For my part I always have a small one in my left back pocket (blade length of 7 to 8" is fine - and I have my Felco pruner in my right back pocket...) and a longer one such as the Big Boy to keep with all the pruning tools.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
April 30, 2018 10:09PM
I have the Gomboy 210mm with 10 teeth per 30mm.

It cuts well but I find it somewhat uncomfortable to use for long periods of time because of the folding handle design.

When I purchase my next saw I'll be looking at the Gomtaro Fine which is the replacement for the Gomtaro Apple saw. The fixed handle looks like it might be more comfortable to handle and the sheath seems a convenient way to store it. I am always setting the Gomboy down and losing track of it because it doesn't fit well in jacket pocket.

Gomtaro Fine

Zone 5b in Michigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login