Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Japanese-style Apple Bags

Posted by Brittany Kordick 
Japanese-style Apple Bags
January 06, 2020 11:11PM
We've been interested in apple bagging for years and played with it on and off. We'd like to give it a more thorough shot this spring on one variety of early apple that we have particularly bad curculio and disease issues with every year. There's been sporadic articles and studies over the years, usually using paper or plastic bags improvised by American growers or researchers. Does anyone know of a source for the bags that the Japanese are actually using? Anybody outside of Japan doing more than playing around with this?

A slightly related inquiry: in articles about the Japanese bagging practice, the art of "tattooing" particularly exceptional fruits is often discussed in tandem. Surprise -- we're also interested in doing our own tattoos on some fruit! Anybody know of a source available to Americans for fruit tattoos?

Thanks much,
Brittany Kordick

Kordick Family Farm
Westfield, NC
Zone 7a
Re: Japanese-style Apple Bags
January 09, 2021 08:30PM
Your topic piqued my interest, so I did some Googling and came across these articles and one source.

[magazine.uc.edu]

[www.brucegoren.com]

[www.wilsonirr.com]

I may have to experiment.

Washington Okanogan Valley
Zone 6b
January 13, 2021 04:34AM
Thanks for posting those links, James! Our bagging trials made the back burner last season, and probably will this one, as well, but it's still an interest for the long-term. I actually have a Japanese "in" -- we hosted a foreign exchange student from Japan when I was growing up, and we still keep in touch. I've hinted in correspondence that I would love any information/material about the practice. I traveled to Japan years ago, and certainly enjoyed viewing and tasting the perfect apples, but it was long before we were orcharding commercially and would have thought to inquire about visiting any orchards. Certainly on the list for any future trips, though.

Brittany

Kordick Family Farm
Westfield, NC
Zone 7a
February 22, 2021 07:51PM
Come to find out that stateside Dr. Guido Schnabel of Clemson University has really championed fruit bagging, particularly in peaches, as an alternative to spraying in fruit crop production. You can order Chinese-made fruit bags through his program at Clemson, as long as you don't intend to re-sell them. We obtained a sample bag from him. It's hard to imagine a full-size large apple fitting in there (you couldn't fit the bag over a full-sized apple, at any rate, but placement of the bags occurs when the fruits are still very small), and I don't necessarily like the idea of the fruit touching the sides of the bag, however much breathability there is. However, it looks like the fruit could burst the paper bag if necessary once it reaches full size ahead of, but still fairly close to, harvest, when a lot of the pathogenic infection windows and insect pest threats have passed. We're intending to conduct a more serious trial in our orchard this year, placing a few bags on all our different varieties of apples. If it works, we know we can't bag our entire crop, but we may find that it really makes a difference for certain dessert apples that we otherwise aren't able to produce much of, and thus, would be justifiable in some blocks.

Here is a link to Dr. Schnabel's Clemson site; it includes a video demonstrating bagging, bag pricing, and the online order form: [www.clemson.edu]

Brittany

Kordick Family Farm
Westfield, NC
Zone 7a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 07:55PM by Brittany Kordick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login