Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Subsoiler / ripper

Posted by Josh Klatt 
Subsoiler / ripper
January 05, 2021 11:21PM
Any suggestions or experience with any subsoilers ? I'm looking for a subsoiler / ripper with a 3 point hitch for my 2 wheel drive 49hp cat. 1 tractor (Ford 3610 diesel). I'm looking at this one from Bush Hog (about $1300):

[bushhog.com]

Or this one from Rankin (about $800):

[rankinequipment.com]

I figure deeper is better, but there is probably a limit to how deep I can go in our heavy clay?

Josh Klatt
Ohio River Valley
Zone 6b
Re: Subsoiler / ripper
January 06, 2021 12:10AM
Hey Josh -
Your depth to bedrock, soil conditions, and your tractor are the limits to how deep you can go. I would say that 49hp isn't going to allow you to use the Bushog or Rankin at full (23") depth in heavy clay soils. The ranges I have used in the past are 30-50 hp per shank. However, your tractor is not 4WD (so traction becomes an issue) and you don't mention whether it is gas or diesel (diesel is a larger engine). I would also suggest that the following: Tractor Supply Ripper. I have used this a number of times in heavy soil with a tractor bigger than yours and it goes through real easy. Not as deep, but works for what I needed it for. Plus its cheaper. Lots cheaper than the Rankin or BH, Good luck.

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
January 06, 2021 12:38AM
Mike -- thanks for that suggestion -- I looked at this but thought I needed something heavier-duty. But at a fraction of what I was considering spending, I think I'll give it a shot.

Josh Klatt
Ohio River Valley
Zone 6b
January 06, 2021 01:21AM
For what it is worth, they are pretty heavy duty and you'd have hit something big and fast in order to break it. Good luck!

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login