Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Source of Comfrey?

Posted by Jason Wendt 
Source of Comfrey?
April 09, 2018 03:33PM
Hey yo all!

Planning before planting here.

Looking for suggestions on variety and suppliers of Russian Comfrey root. We are in a zone 4 loamy sand, but as I understand, comfrey is not too picky...

The more local source, the better.

Thanks in advance!

Living Earth Orchard
Zone 4 Wisconsin
Re: Source of Comfrey?
April 10, 2018 01:30PM
I know of a company called Marsh Creek Farmstead that supplies the Permaculture communities via mail order. They are quite savvy on Russian Comfrey and can ship you what you need. . . . small or large quantities.

[marshcreekfarmstead.blogspot.com]

Good luck!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Re: Source of Comfrey?
April 21, 2018 08:51AM
Several years ago I introduced common comfrey into my orchard. I started seed I got from Richters.com in Canada. It took a couple years to get established, but it has naturalized and now is abundant. Along with being good for my apple trees, it’s a great provision for the natural pollinators, and blooms throughout the season. Bumble bees (the “Sherman tanks” of pollinators) love it. Richters also handles Bocking 4 and 14, and I think they sell plants as well as seeds, although I’m not sure whether plants can be shipped to the US. If you want to try common comfrey, it will grow like crazy from chunks of root, and since we’re in the same neck of the woods, I’d be glad to give you some. (Disclaimer: don’t plant it if you think you’ll ever want to get rid of it!)

Pat McBride
Zone 4b in Minnesota
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login