Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

wiki

Posted by Michael Phillips 
wiki
August 08, 2012 08:17AM
One module we're considering to set up a fruit-oriented wiki can be found at PHP Wikiwiki. This will be a future feature of our site, once funding allows us to secure the use of such software for approved particpants. It's this sort of background stuff that allows us to integrate in the same list of users for the forum to yet another aspect of the site. Sounds simple but otherwise all sorts of hacking can go on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 02:50PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: wiki
September 09, 2012 12:03PM
I see the wiki as a group-edited summation of forum discussion and other sources.

Claude Jolicoeur
Which made me think - since we have forums set up for fruit varieties, why wouldn't we use this for the description of fruit varieties instead of the wiki? We could have one thread for each variety, and discussion for each. What would you all think of this? Pros and cons?

That's totally fine. But on the other hand, maybe I go to the wiki to see a page dedicated totally to a cider apple overview. All options are on the table. The wiki is simply another format to play with for those who are interested.
Re: wiki
September 17, 2012 02:52PM
I agree both ways.

Claude makes a good point and I like the idea of an ongoing thread on a variety by variety basis. In greater detail. Good stuff . . . on the other hand, there are plenty of folks that like the look and feel of the wiki (wikipedia) layout and its ability to provide a quick answer.

A thread can get brutally long when a good topic is at hand. For some, it can be daunting to play catch up with if you dont have hours to commit. A wiki is a more concise summary page with a few simple phtotos, some minor history, links to other more detailed reports and research, such as a link included that can allow the interested reader to dive in deeper . . . perhaps to the varietal thread that has over 100 member posts to it on the varietal 'Northern Spy', etc.

If they have the time and the desire, they will make the jump. If they are just browsing for a quick fix of an answer, then the Wiki might help keep rudimentary posts from clogging up a threads within an area like the Apple variety folders.

If it doesnt create too much grief, lets roll it both ways. Keep the masses happy :-)

. . . also, there is a surprising difference among the hundreds of different types of apples we all grow with regards to their habits in growth, production, soil preferences, responses to different management techniques and more.

Information on the above areas, on a varietal by varietal basis, would be a real boon for folks looking to do online research into orchard starts, additions, change overs, etc.

Cheers gang,

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login