Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Login problems

Posted by Clair Kauffman 
Login problems
November 16, 2012 09:44AM
I've been having some problems with my login password. Twice my password was not accepted (yes, I checked and doublechecked) and had to request a new password via email. Any help here?

Clair Kauffman
Zone 6b, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Re: Login problems
November 16, 2012 10:20AM
Fill us in on more details, Clair. You are given a random password once your application is accepted. You can change that at any time to something more memorable. I never see any of this in administration. The ability to request a new password is based upon the email you registered into the forum in the first place. And yet ... here you are with a new post about this problem. That shows you are currently able to log in.

I log out on occasion to see things from the outside. Then when I go to log back in, I type the first letters of my name (my 'user name' being my real name) which prompts a drop-down box where I click on my full name. That in turn recovers my password in hidden form, which allows me to particpate. If I never log out, I never have to go through this process.

We'll look for Michael Potts (our portal webster) to pick up on this message and hopefully add more insight.
November 17, 2012 07:35AM
Soon after I registered, I changed my password. About 2 days later, it would not accept that password so I got a new one emailed to me from the "forgot your password?" option. That worked for several days, and then refused to work, so I went through the same process again. I will now change my most recently received password and hope that nothing needs fixed. Maybe I'm sleep walking and changing my password while dreaming of some new invasive pest species like the African Fig Fly. smiling smiley

Clair Kauffman
November 24, 2012 01:17PM
Clair and all,
Part of the ongoing puzzle from where I sit (on the temporarily sunny shore of the Pacific) is that SO many systems are involved. Software we wrote provides the first password, but we encourage changing this password with the Phorum software's password mechanism ... something that's a mysterious black box consisting of thousands of lines of intricate code written by a dozen programmers much smarter than us.
Michael-the-apple-guy notes that when he logs out, then in again, he needs to type only the first few letters of his name and "the system" -- that's a big placeholder word for the whole interconnected conglomerate of computers, routers, wiring, microwaving, and other arcane devices that surpass human understanding but are fun to play with; think of them as a system of tubes if you like -- summons up the rest of his name and his password. That's his BROWSER providing the log-in information; at some point, he gave it permission to remember it for him. I let my browser do that, too, but we need to be careful not to do that on machines used by others.
I haven't encountered the "lost password" phenomenon on our site, but I have often had my password forgotten by others. Clair, if this happens again, email me and let's have an out-of-phorum exchange about making it never happen again.
November 29, 2012 07:26AM
So far, I have had no further problems. Thanks for the bother.

Clair Kauffman
February 25, 2013 08:02AM
A few things have been learned here in the interim.

People request a new password, for whatever reason. And then report back that nothing seems to happen. Our first suggestion is always did you look in your spam filter? This "method" has a phenomenal track record so far.

Several growers try a different tack, forgetting they even were set up with a user account months ago. And so they apply anew, filling in the form that comes up on the screen when requesting to create a user account. Such repeated requests to join will come through but have little meaning as the system will not duplicate accounts with one and the same email address. This dead end gets you nowhere. You won't even see a reply per se unless I write you a private message to remind you of your past life. Far better to log in with your real name and then request a new password.

Finally are the tried and true. A couple longtime friends have simply given up because computer basics leave them frustrated. All that can be said is hang in there! A little investment of time in reading the How-to-Use-this-Site page followed by some back-and-forth banter about passwords (if even necessary) will get you to the light of day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login