Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

spray influence on open blossoms

Posted by Michael Phillips 
spray influence on open blossoms
April 23, 2019 10:44AM
This could lead us down controversial paths. I asked the tech people at SCD Probiotics why they state in their literature the following: Do not spray while blooming or blooms may drop. Could they please explain why/how lactobacilli and yeasts are going to make blooms fall off? Here's the response:

"The transition from vegetative growth to reproductive growth, i.e. flowering, is a critical event in a plant’s life. Flowering is regulated or unregulated either autonomously or by environmental factors. Spraying directly to the flowers at the time of blooming can be a form of abiotic stress (i.e. environmental factor), which may result in foliar injury —causing blooms to drop off. Also, the microorganisms in our product can be considered as another environmental factor or biotic stress and may inhabit flower tissues like endophytes at the time of flowering. Both of which may induce or accelerate flowering, or inhibit or delay it, depending on the plant species. Foliar spraying is also the time for farmers to integrate fertilizers and depending on the type, one could have a positive or negative effect on the flowers. Therefore, it will be safer not to perform foliar spraying at the time of blooming especially for all crops or orchard in general."

Please understand such an answer speaks to whatever you apply during bloom time. Sulfur for a scab event. Lime sulfur to blossom thin . . . which stands somewhat in alignment with the theory. Surround to get a head start on curculio. Antibiotics for fire blight. Organism products for fire blight. Or in my case, the competitive colonization boost for fire blight, which is when I deliberately double the rate of effective microbes to create an inhospitable blossom niche for the opportunistic pathogen. Even liquid seaweed when used to up plant sugar levels prior to a freeze night.

The bit about endophytes is intriguing.

Still, companies hedge their bets. This statement in the SCD literature is misguided, in my opinion.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2019 07:44AM by Michael Phillips.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login