Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Oddly staggered bloom sequence

Posted by Jason MacArthur 
Oddly staggered bloom sequence
May 30, 2019 06:48AM
I have had Hewe's Crab in bloom for about a week, essentially all alone. In the last few days a few other things have opened a few blossoms, but not in their typical sequence. Dabinett is now in King Bloom in my orchard, along with Sweet 16 and Keepsake, while Ribston Pippin, usually one of my earlier bloomers, is in Pink.
This has me thinking that different varieties not only have differing numbers of degree days to bloom, but also different baseline temperatures above which these need to accumulate. It would seem that Ribston Pippin, as an example, might need fewer degree days to bloom than many varieties, hence the fact that it is usually one of my earliest to flower, but that it starts accumulating at a higher temperature. In a warmer year this baseline difference isn't very noticeable, but in a very cool spring it shows up, and blossom sequence gets all muddled.

Is anyone else seeing an unusual bloom sequence this year?
Re: Oddly staggered bloom sequence
May 30, 2019 09:09PM
My trees are about 2-3 days away from first bloom, showing good pink right now, we've had a cold and wet spring, finally drying out and warming up now. Other trees are still at tight cluster. At least I'm finally starting to see many of my 3-4 year old trees starting to put out some blossoms.

Can't wait to try a some of the apples from the many varieties that will bloom this year, even if it's only one of each....LOL

But to answer your question, based on the very limited blooming I've had so far, everything looks about normal?

Pat

Brampton Lake Orchards

Zone 4a Upper Michigan
June 03, 2019 07:10AM
The real story this year is that here in northern zones we are all having bloom in June! Another thing that seems to be staggered is waking up times beyond the apple. Ash is just now unfurling first leaves. Those European bittersweets that green up much later than American dessert varieties are really waking up late this year. The plum/cherry/pear/apple blossom continuum was also far more scrunched than in the past. All in all, spring expectations don't seem so much out-of-order as radically delayed.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
June 03, 2019 05:40PM
Kind of glad that my trees had not started to bloom yet. We have a freeze last night, down to 30F this morning, only 58F today and was only 52F yesterday. Local weather guy said May was about 9 degrees below normal. June initial forecast is calling for continued below normal weather for upper Midwest and Great Lakes area !!

Pat

Brampton Lake Orchards

Zone 4a Upper Michigan
June 03, 2019 08:39PM
Not sure what everyone's talking about, we're right on par here in nirvana.

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
June 05, 2019 10:49AM
Accordingly, those of us further north have requested that curculio and apple maggot fly and the whole slew spend more time in "nirvana" this year.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login