Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

commercial shipping

Posted by Michael Phillips 
commercial shipping
March 11, 2016 08:55AM
It's that time of year for ordering spray products but this applies equally well to marketing supplies. UPS for sure and no doubt FEDEX as well have different rates for "residential" versus "commercial". There's a seven dollar difference in shipping costs for a box of four one-gallon jugs of molasses for instance. Things add up anytime you order liquids.

UPS of course wants to say this is our residence. On the other hand, this address is our farm and where we totally make all our income. That makes it a legit commercial deal in my opinion. Though I am not about to ask UPS to decide! What have people learned about making sure a farm is recognized as commercial? Supposedly a computer check is run to determine address status but it doesn't always pan out especially in rural areas.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Re: commercial shipping
March 11, 2016 11:44AM
Hi Michael,

I was just told (at the new year) that UPS was re-designating accounts in our area as "commercial" or "residential" and that I could decide which I preferred to be . . . At first, I was quick to jump on commercial, in order to save on the shipping surcharges billed to residential deliveries, but I was then told that they would no longer be able to automatically release product without signatures as they have always done. That is, they would no longer be able to "just leave boxes" without a signature, if I chose to be commercial.

That signature factor alone was the deal breaker for me . . .

Therefore, I stuck with residential because I can not always be present to sign and receive shipments.

Alternatively, you can save a little money on your shipping (inbound) and reduce delivery times (by being able to get packages 1st thing in the morning) if you have them held for pickup at a local UPS Hub or UPS Store location. . . I have found that to be helpful sometimes

Good luck

Paul

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Re: commercial shipping
March 11, 2016 02:39PM
I always use the US Postal Service for shipping. Much better rates and gets here just as fast, if not sooner. Same thing for sending packages out.

jmho, Pat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login