Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Suggestions on rabbitt damage

Posted by David Mobley 
Suggestions on rabbitt damage
March 22, 2015 10:27PM
Last spring I tried my hand at grafting 30 different varities. I thought I had protected them by planting them in a fenced enclosure, but noticed a few have bark damage from a rabbitt or rabbitts. I transplanted them into the orchard today, and wondered the best way of trying to help them heal.
What about kaolin clay over the damaged area?
Or, should I paint grafting wax over the damaged areas to keep the young trees from drying out?
Some of the damage is to the grafted scion and some in the rootstock, Does this change how it should be handled?
Thanks for your help.
David Mobley
New London, Missouri
zone 5b
Re: Suggestions on rabbitt damage
April 25, 2015 11:18PM
I've had young trees get pretty beat up due to vole damage-- Unless they were 75% or more girdled, they seemed to pull through ok. Instead of painting, try wrapping with parafin grafting tape like this stuff from A.M.Leonard:
[v.gd]
I've not tried it for anything but grafting since I've managed to get my vole problem under control, but it's a great seal for healing graft unions and will degrade after a while and can be easily pulled off next season or whenever. Grafting wax will seal and keep it from drying out, but also prevents it from healing and is impossible to get off.

Josh Klatt
Ohio River Valley
Zone 6b
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login