Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Is this a disease? Bug?

Posted by David Maxwell 
Is this a disease? Bug?
September 22, 2014 01:11PM
I have been unable to find anything in my library of bugs/diseases/virus conditions, etc. which looks anything like this "pox" on fruit of a local apple variety, Tangowine. (Discovered in New Brunswick. "Candy sweet", "kids love it" ).
Any ideas as to what it is? (And, I guess, whether there is anything to be done for it...)

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
Re: Is this a disease? Bug?
October 11, 2014 07:17AM
Looks like a virus or spray damage to me.

Hemlock Grove Farm
Zone 5 in New York
October 11, 2014 08:21AM
I eventually elicited an opinion from an agricultural consultant. He reasoned that, since not all the fruit on the tree were affected, it isn't a virus. The only things I sprayed were Quassia extract at petal fall, (a time when I would doubt that it could produce the observed effect on the embryonic fruit), and Michael's 4 holistic sprays. The Ag. consultant opined that it was a physical effect from the fruit being whipped around in the wind in hurricane Arthur. (But poor Arthur is being blamed for everything from severe fireblight to the farmer's sore bunions.) I am not sure we will ever know, but will await with interest what happens next year.

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
October 11, 2014 10:25AM
Hi David,

Just out of curiosity -- what is the parentage of the TangoWine? How much of the crop had this disorder (% of total on tree)? Where were the affected fruit located on the tree (inside, outside, top bottom, all over?)? What is the nutritional status of the soil, leaves and/or fruit? What did the fruit look like on the inside (lat or long slices) esp right under the bumps? Were there any other interesting or distinguishing characteristics about the tree, site or fruit? Oh, and what was the winter cold and late spring weather like?

It doesn't look like physical damage and certainly isn't insect damage. There are some weird diseases out there, but if there were very few fruit with this disorder it not likely pathological.

Thanks, Mike Biltonen

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login