Gumption
February 05, 2015 12:24PM
I have been perusing the internet this week looking at the discourse in various forums. The idea here is to understand why more folks are not “vocal” in these here pages. Not accusatory mind you, just as an intellectual exercise that may help improve our little club here.

There certainly are a lot of blogs and the like that are all about facts, and are in my opinion some of the most useful. It turns out, however that there is a higher percentage of opinion topics or commentary. This lines up with human nature pretty well I think we would agree.

So, in the interest of generating some interest, I thought I would invite folks to take a stab at a thread that leans more heavily on opinions, waxes philosophical, and touches on those very themes that have driven us to take up this livelihood or hobby that is fruit growing.

We can keep attention on the fact that the entry needs be nothing more than engaging in a reflection on the governing factors of our methods, or even why we chose to grow things at all.

I do believe that with all the complicated mess out there in cyberland, this forum remains a friendly, informative and thoughtful place, and is only beginning to see its potential.

I posted under Sustainable Farming an idea that fits into this sort of category. But it may have been any interesting topics like:

Is the genetic modification of fruit trees a positive of negative avenue to explore?

Can we feed 7 billion people, pay farmers a liveable wage, and leave the ecosystem in a healthier state than we found it?

Is organic agriculture about the production of healthy food for people only, or also the responsible stewardship of farmland, species, and resources for current and future generations?

...and perhaps most importantly, is Tom Waits a better songwriter than Bob Dylan? ( I had to include something controversial)

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 11:00AM by Todd Parlo.
Re: Gumption
February 06, 2015 11:22AM
Todd wrote:
...and perhaps most importantly, is Tom Waits a better songwriter than Bob Dylan?
Neither... Leonard Cohen is!
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
February 09, 2015 10:53AM
Hi Todd,

Cheers to inspiring our members and guests here in the "friendly, informative and thoughtful place" the HON is meant to be.

Please folks, do jump in. Many of the items both inspiring you and troubling you will likely find energy to share here in our forums. Give it go, its free, only takes a few minutes, and you have everything to gain, with your efforts.

I like your idea Todd

Paul

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
February 16, 2015 08:48AM
"Is the genetic modification of fruit trees a positive of negative avenue to explore?"

"Solutions" that place the fix in the hands of a few are not sustainable solutions. However, much is made of how bright we are that we can insert genes from one specie into another. It works well for the potentional patent and stock holders, not so much for the farmer who should be the actual stockholder. Millenia of artificial selection by growers should be evidence enough that the truly sustainable solutions will be found by that method, as there is no eye like the eye of a mindful farmer.

"Can we feed 7 billion people, pay farmers a liveable wage, and leave the ecosystem in a healthier state than we found it?"

We can certainly feed 7 billion. Unfortunately farmers have shown that we will work for a barely liveable wage and governments act to perpetuate this situation. The manufacturers of non- essential goods want their profits and if people have to pay for food what it actually costs, there is less money to spend on non-essentials. Cheap food is necessary so there is more disposable income for leisure/recreation. I don't agree and it seems to me that our problem starts there. The "fossil" fuels widely used for traction and fertilizers derived from the same can't be sustainable in the true sense, yet that is ignored by most. The current conventional farming methods must be seen as the mining operations that they are.

"Is organic agriculture about the production of healthy food for people only, or also the responsible stewardship of farmland, species, and resources for current and future generations?"

If we view "organic" as it once was, before bureaucratic involvement was used to ensure corporate "farms" could get a piece of the organic pie, then I think it has to be seen as the only long term way to feed the 7 billion. When the land has all been divided into 2 acre chemlawns and petrolium costs begin to reflect actual cost it will be too late in the game for a thoughtful fix. Animal traction needs to be revisited. A tractor has never generated fertilizer as a byproduct that offsets fuel use. I think our long term survival requires mindful thought about maintaining/improving fertility , not short term monetary profit based thought.

Spliced Wire Farm & Apiaries
Zone 4b NE Corner of McKean County, PA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 08:52AM by James Austin.
February 25, 2015 04:10PM
Wow, great ideas Todd, Contributor Extrordinaire (I guess I spelled it right). And great answers from James at Spliced Wire Farms (great name, I need to go to Bio section). James, right on everywhere. NO, NO...we do not need genetic modification and now we have the "Artic" Apples coming that do not brown but do rot. With the 1,000's of varieties to grow how could we need more??? Yes, we can feed everyone...once we relearn how. James, can I quote you as I will be on a community radio show in 2 weeks to discuss the GMO apples. Also, I'm no scientist, but I need to find out if GMO apples growing next door can contaminate my heirlooms. I think not but I'm not sure, as apples aren't soy or corn.
About the important stuff...isn't it great that Tom, Bobby, and Leonard are all still alive (at least a month ago they were) and we get to enjoy all of it? For my 2 cents or maybe a dime's worth---Richard Thompson, Townes van Zandt (RIP) and Cole Porter (long time RIP).
As for my piss poor excuse for not contributing more, at least recently...we are in a drought and indredibily warm 68 degrees right now and crabs and quince are "out" and I will be hand watering if it doesn't rain very soon...like tomorrow. This topic got me off my arse, thanks!

The Apple Farm
Zone 8b in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login