Germany & Norway: Apples were readily available, but . . .
August 19, 2015 11:48AM
Hi Friends,

Just back from a month long trip to Germany & Norway to visit family in each country.

As a passionate apple lover & grower, I kept a sharp eye out for apples during my travels.

I was pleased to see apples available in almost all breakfast and dinner offerings in Germany and Norway; at restaurants, in hotels, at local grocery stores and in our families kitchens (ready for quick use).

Apples were readily available, but sadly they were the same 7-8 varieties that I can find all day long here in California stores.

Pink Lady (very, very popular in Germany and Norway)
Gala
Braeburn
Yellow Delicious
Ambrosia
Pinata
Jazz
Jonagold

With the exception of three I have not previously seen in stores (all found in Germany):

Red Jonaprince (from Poland)
Elstar (from Germany)
Junami (from Switzerland)

I visited several nurseries while in Norway and learned that there is renewed interest in apple growing there, both commercially and in backyard orcharding. I also saw many hundreds of acres that have been newly planted into higher density apple orchards (at ~1,000 trees per acre) on ground that had previously been in cereal grains. It was great to see the apple making a strong comeback in Scandinavia!

Some of the tree varieties I noted (that I have never heard of before) being grown and marketed from the nurseries I visited in Norway included:

Akero Nassel
Aroma
Discovery
Filippa
James Grieve
Karin Schneider
Katinka
Katja
Kronprins
Lobo
Nanna
Red Savstaholm
Summerred
Transparent Blanche

. . . and for those of you looking for off the beaten path Cider offerings, Swedish liquor stores will have you impressively well covered!

Skål

Paul

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Re: Germany & Norway: Apples were readily available, but . . .
August 20, 2015 05:48AM
Paul, many of those are fairly well known...
Akero Nassel - Swedish
Aroma - Swedish
Discovery - English, well known
Filippa - well known and used for cider in Denmark
James Grieve - English, well known
Karin Schneider - Denmark
Katinka
Katja - Swedish origin, grown and liked in England under the name Katy. Also grown in North America
Kronprins
Lobo - Classical canadian variety, one of the favorites here in Quebec
Nanna
Red Savstaholm
Summerred - Canadian, from BC
Transparent Blanche - this is the Yellow Transparent

P.S.
I am currently heading for the "mostviertel", a region of Austria famous for its perry pear trees and its perry.
[www.mostviertel.at]
Should be interesting!

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
August 20, 2015 05:54PM
Hi Claude,

Good feedback, my friend. Nice! I had a hunch many of those must have some good followings (and flavor/purpose) to boot.

Thanks for the extra details. The "blanche" threw me as I thought it was going to be a new type of transparent, White Transparent vs Yellow, but so goes the fuzzy translation of an apple's many common names from one area to the next.

Nice to see them actively marketing & growing several Canadian favorites

Your trip to Mostviertel should be an amazing one. Just spent some time on that link you sent. That location was recently awarded the "European Destination of Excellence" with acknowledgement of their location being "Everything Pear". You are traveling to the hottest Pear Cider tasting spot on earth! . . . Have a great time and please do post up some pics when you get back!

Prost!

Paul

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
October 01, 2015 02:07PM
When you were in Norway, did you visit Hardanger? The Gravensteins there are fantastic. The local apple juice, Epplemost, is, I believe, all Gravenstein.
October 06, 2015 12:55PM
Hi Shelah,

We were in Norway from July 21 through August 5th. On the west coast of Norway, we did not make up as far as the Hardangerfjord area. Stavanger & Tau were as far up that side of the coast that we made it. Did some fantastic hiking and sight seeing all around the Lysefjord, special mention to Preikestolen.

I did get the opportunity to enjoy several small batch craft bottled Eplemosts while there. Delicious!! Sounds like you have enjoyed them too.

Next time we are there (likely 2-3 years from now) I will make it a point to visit the Hardangerfjord area. We stayed south of Olso, as a base for our regional travels. The drive from there to the west coast took us almost 10 hours -- with stops along the way. Norway is much larger than we imagined it to be . . . and truly spectacular!

Cheers!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login