Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

sugar content in pears

Posted by Robbie Anderman 
sugar content in pears
September 05, 2015 09:39PM
Hello, It's been a long wondrous summer. Mostly drought. Some really hot days/weeks. Early heat brought on blooms that the -8 degrees C freeze of May 23 caused a lot of local havoc on.... Thankfully, most of our pears had already set enough, tho' the Ure pear trees lost their pips (pearps?) on the lower branches, making them top heavy. (which the porcupine doesn't mind) .
Our two Tait Dropmore trees had a total of 13 bushels that we picked, and at least another than fell, maybe more. My question arises after juicing them today. 45 gallons, which is fine, yet the sugar content is noticably lower than last year. Disappointingly so. It does rise a little when heated for canning, thankfully.

I wonder if it was the drought? The 4.5 inches of rain that fell in 5 days two weeks ago? Or what? Any ideas, suggestions?
We also pressed a little of the Ures..... and they are also less sugar than last year, than previouos years. More watery, even tho ' the skin is still thick.

Thank you,
Robbie

Morninglory Farm
Zone 3b* in Ontario
Re: sugar content in pears
September 06, 2015 04:27PM
Robbie Anderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question arises after juicing
> them today. 45 gallons, which is fine, yet the
> sugar content is noticably lower than last year.
> Disappointingly so.
> I wonder if it was the drought? The 4.5 inches of
> rain that fell in 5 days two weeks ago? Or what?
> Any ideas, suggestions?

So many factors may have an influence on juice SG, Robbie, it is simply impossible to say for sure.
We just have to accept this natural variation.

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Re: sugar content in pears
September 07, 2015 08:56AM
Thank you Claude. I agree with you.... acceptance of natural variation is part of life... and orcharding.
We took a couple quarts of the pear juice to a party last night. After two days the juice tasted sweeter and better... and the children drank it all quite quickly. They had no comparison from last year to consider!

Morninglory Farm
Zone 3b* in Ontario
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login