Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Very cold this morning

Posted by Joanne Patton 
Very cold this morning
April 06, 2016 09:05AM
Crazy weather here in Northern VA!

After an exceptionally warm March, all of my pears, peaches and crabapples are either in pink or in bloom as of last week. Apples at or close to 1/2" green. This morning's low temperature was 27 at 6am, zero wind, clear skies and more cold (26!) and even snow projected for Saturday night. I applied my first holistic spray this past Sunday.

Is there any hope for my poor pears? ::sigh:: They are planted at the highest point on our property so I am hopeful but time will tell....

Joanne Patton, Squire Oaks Farm
Zone 6A, Northern Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 09:55AM by Joanne Patton.
Re: Very cold this morning
April 06, 2016 12:08PM
Where is your orchard? What town is it in or near?

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
April 06, 2016 01:45PM
It was ZERO here Monday morning. We have gotten almost 14" of snow so far this week and more is expected late this week. Possibly getting near zero again Saturday night. All my trees are thankfully still asleep. I read an article yesterday that the plum, apricots and peaches in the upper Midwest are in bloom and will likely be decimated this weekend. The cold is supposed to penetrate all the way to North Carolina. I'm sure a lot of apple trees in the Midwest and eastern US are in trouble as well.
April 06, 2016 09:53PM
We are in Lovettsville, which is in Loudoun County, Virginia. Not far from Harpers Ferry or Charles Town WV. Lots of posts coming out from Virginia Tech warning of the impending doom (I exaggerate) and widespread crop loss. Saturday's low is forecasted to be 26 with a chance of snow. Everything is blooming. Our temps have been anywhere from 60-80 degrees. One of our old horses coliced and had to be put down last month. These huge temperature swings are very hard on the animals too. Yup, Mother Nature has lost her mind!

Pat, you are very lucky all your trees are still asleep. Mine wish they were!

April 06, 2016 10:44PM
Joanne,

Ouch, I hate it when that happens. I don't know about your pears, if there wasa snow on them and especially if it was windy (doesn't sound like it) that can really help....if I were in your shoes I would have silent funeral and be surprised if I saw life. There's this handy chart from Michigan State if that is helpful to you:

[msue.anr.msu.edu]

Michigan had eleven degrees Monday night although we are not as far along. I heat when its cold although that only picks me up 7 degrees if I am lucky, so my pears, plum and cherry may also be toast. We are in for a repeat Saturday night...

Kind regards, Susan
April 09, 2016 04:11PM
Michigan State is an excellent resource. Thanks for posting that chart link Susan

MSU has a whole site dedicated to Fruit Freeze related topics and resources too

[msue.anr.msu.edu]

Good luck everyone!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
April 09, 2016 04:41PM
This is a thread dealing with 'cold morning' and freezing events so maybe the place to discuss HS timing.
Is there any point in spraying HS when there is still likelihood of freezing or recent freezing? (assume ground is thawed tho).
I'm loaded and ready for bear!

Old 99 Farm and permaculture site
Dundas ON 5b
April 09, 2016 06:33PM
This is not good, I hope growers with trees in bloom somehow escape....

[www.accuweather.com]

Brampton Lake Orchards

Zone 4a Upper Michigan
April 10, 2016 05:24AM
27 degrees now and supposed to go down a few more degrees. Perfectly clear sky and zero wind. My espaliered pears are wrapped in burlap as a couple of them are in full bloom. Apples showing pink. Hoping for the best....

Well, we made it down to 25 for a brief moment and now, at 8:20, we are up over freezing. Many local vineyards had huge fires going early this morning to try and save their vines. I guess their concern is with the sap freezing.

The freeze is now behind us here in Northern VA. I hope everyone else that is impacted by this frigid air comes through it ok without widespread crop loss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 08:24AM by Joanne Patton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login