Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Unexpected russeting

Posted by James Austin 
Unexpected russeting
August 22, 2016 03:15PM
My nephew asked me what he had going on with his apples. It is an old tree and a very sentimental heirloom from his maternal side. They simply refer to it as the 'King' tree. I looked in my apple books and at extension service postings online without seeing a real match. Could you help me help him? There appears to be almost a russeting over half the apple and it is not a russet variety.

Spliced Wire Farm & Apiaries
Zone 4b NE Corner of McKean County, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 07:51PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Unexpected russeting
August 24, 2016 12:58PM
Hi James,

Thanks for the photos, that is always helpful in a case like this.

Do they spray this tree with anything, annually, or perhaps just this year? Late Copper (after fruit set) sprays are known to increase the likelihood of russetting, for example, and that would often then manifest on the sunny side (the exposed side of the apple), which could account for the russeting only being on one side, as your photos show.

Other sprays, besides copper, may do the same . . .

Let us know what you find out and can add to help solve the mystery

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
August 25, 2016 03:02AM
No sprays have been used.
February 01, 2017 03:30PM
What is weird about russeting is that it can be caused by mildew, and that spray remedies for mildew can cause it. It may be that, since no sprays were made, those areas with less circulation have some wet induced russet. However, if there really is some mystery associated with the variety, how do we know it does not have russet as a genetic characteristic? With these days of excitement over rough skinned heirlooms, you might try to get that russet on the other half too. There is something very attractive to a russet netting on a big red haralson, despite it being a so called blemish.

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login