Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Girdled tree at and below soil line

Posted by Joanne Patton 
Girdled tree at and below soil line
March 23, 2017 12:04PM
This is Smokehouse on Bud9. Planted in 2011. Has anyone seen anything similar? I have observed no borer damage through the years, trunk has never been without tree guard. As I was excavating the soil,bark flaked right off, I dug up some little worms, very little, that curled up as I dug them out of soil. Was only able to bag a few different kinds of soil creatures. Also, some chunks of root came right off the main root. Tree's not dead yet but probably on it's way out.

Any ideas at all?
Pictures

3/24 2 new pictures added. Please note that the new pictures - the "holes" are not holes - there is wood inside the circles and I have the piece of root that came right off of that biggest circle at the very bottom.

A couple other trees look to be on this same trajectory. sad smiley Would sure appreciate any input. Thank you!

Joanne Patton, Squire Oaks Farm
Zone 6A, Northern Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 08:49AM by Joanne Patton.
Re: Girdled tree at and below soil line
March 27, 2017 03:32PM
Apple Crown and Collar rot is the diagnosed problem with my Smokehouse on BUD9 which is supposed to be resistant to it. I'll be removing this tree in the fall and for the rest of the espaliered trees will be reducing the amount of irrigation I give them. Pretty sure this was self inflicted. Don't see how to delete this from the Bug by Bug category (initially I thought it may be bug related) as it should be under Fungal, this water rot belongs to Phytophthora family.

Joanne Patton, Squire Oaks Farm
Zone 6A, Northern Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 08:39AM by Joanne Patton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login