Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Germinating Apple Seeds

Posted by Henry Jacobson 
Germinating Apple Seeds
April 24, 2017 02:31PM
Hello folks,

So as an experiment last year, I decided to plant some apple seeds (about 50) in the fall and wait for spring to transplant the seedlings. However, none of the seeds germinated. The seeds would've been cold stratified over the Wisconsin winter. So I tried it again this year with the same strategy and no luck yet. Is there a good way to germinate apple seeds or just throw them in the ground in the fall and hope that you get some seedlings in the spring? I would really like to experiment like the growers of old.

Thanks,
Henry Jacobson

Central Wisconsin Apple Rediscovery Project
New London, WI
Zone 5a
Re: Germinating Apple Seeds
April 25, 2017 10:23PM
Apple seeds are usually easy. I've taken them right out of the apples in mid winter and put them on a damp piece of paper towel. Fold it over and put them in the frig. Put the towel in a Ziploc bag. Check it every 2-3 weeks to make sure the towel is damp. Seeds usually start germinating in about 3-4 months. then pot them up or plant them out.

Pat
April 26, 2017 01:51PM
Thank you very much! I will try this method this coming fall!

Central Wisconsin Apple Rediscovery Project
New London, WI
Zone 5a
July 10, 2017 02:29PM
Hi Henry,

Im curious, what was the source of the seeds? Store bought apples or your own home grown varieties? Were the seeds dead ripe to begin with? A mix of different varieties or all one type? What did you plant them in -- Pots? flats? raised beds? bare earth or ___?

I find seedling apple trees all over at our place every spring.

Keep trying!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
July 10, 2017 06:22PM
Hello Paul!

The source of the seeds came from trees I am currently identifying for my project but have pinpointed it to 2 possible varieties. The Wolf River or a Waupaca County seedling, the Rose apple. Anyway the trees are in the middle of the woods. The apples were ripe or even almost decaying so the seeds were ripe. I planted them in bare earth. Only 1 seedling came up but it died last week for some unknown reason. I plan on saving seeds from almost every apple this fall I eat not from the store but homegrown apples.

Thanks,

Henry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login