Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Cider jugs

Posted by Kevin Frank 
Cider jugs
September 23, 2017 09:34AM
Does anyone know of a good source for gallon cider jugs in NH, or ME or VT or MA?
Re: Cider jugs
September 24, 2017 05:18PM
Our best bet back in the days of the leased cider mil was to tag onto a farm dairy order. Hatchland Dairy in North Haverhill may be a good bet.

Let me take this to yet another level. I intend to give each member of my cider club several "returnable" glass gallons. Or maybe half-gallons. Anyone else doing this? What's your source? A pallet of how many jugs costs what?

The same might be asked on Kevin's behalf: What are people paying for plastic jugs?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
September 25, 2017 11:02AM
This spring was my inaugural year as a maple syrup producer, and I packaged 100% in glass. I bought a pallet of litre and a pallet of half litre jugs. Each pallet contained enough containers to store approximately 100 gallons of product. They were purchased through CDL maple products, a Canadian company with a corporate outpost and warehouse in St. Albans, Vermont. Including trucking they were both around $1000.00 US. Both included caps.

On page 92 of their 2017 catalog, available on thier website, they list 1 gallon capacity Gallone Jugs, the form factor, as being $3.74 each and they come in a 4pk carton. I called them, and a pallet contains just over 200 jugs and the price per unit drops below $3 each. I have been interested in packaging large, but have yet to perceive a demand to buy a full pallet. I might be convinced to do so if I were able to split the order. That would of course entail other interested parties coming to the hill to pick up their share….

Lakes Region NH @ 1200' or so
5a?

393 planted towards a 440 goal mixed apple, pear, plum and apricot...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 11:08AM by Chris Vlitas.
October 04, 2017 12:43PM
Hi Folks,

This may be too far away, but I know that several growers out this way have used the Cary Company in Addison, Illinois for their bulk glass 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon glass jug orders.

[www.thecarycompany.com]

Bonus . . . the Cary Company sells all sorts of containers, from plastic juice jugs to stainless steel 55 gallon drums and more. Might be good to be acquainted with them regardless.

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login