Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Grateful for an amazing apple harvest!

Posted by Karen Brindle 
Grateful for an amazing apple harvest!
November 28, 2017 12:33AM
I am so astonished at how our young orchard produced this past season! 61 trees in 4th or 5th leaf produced 3300 lbs of cider apples we were able to sell to a local cider brewer! We also pressed about 20 gallons of juice for our own use. My gratitude to all those who share their experience and wisdom on this forum and most of all to Michael for putting his wisdom out for us to learn from.
I only used holistic spray but did not manage to get it done as frequently as recommended. Weather, a new spray tank was delayed in arriving, and travel competed with time out in the orchard during the fruit sizing time. The main pest was apple maggot which I did not spray for (big mistake) and scab was addressed only on certain susceptible trees with copper and sulfer.

I am so looking forward to the end of our fall/winter rains and some crisp dry days to begin pruning. Happy Winter to you all

VistaRidge orchard, Quilcene, WA zone 8a est. 2012
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Re: Grateful for an amazing apple harvest!
November 29, 2017 09:48AM
For a full understanding of the metric, can you cite rootstock and center pitch?

Lakes Region NH @ 1200' or so
5a?

393 planted towards a 440 goal mixed apple, pear, plum and apricot...
Re: Grateful for an amazing apple harvest!
November 30, 2017 11:54PM
Hi Chris, all our trees are on M-111 or B-118, 18' x 20' spacing (some a little more) If I could do over, I would make the aisle bigger, was difficult to get our tractor in with the apple bins when the branches leaned out with the weight of the apples.

VistaRidge orchard, Quilcene, WA zone 8a est. 2012
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login