Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Hello and a question

Posted by Graham Savio 
Hello and a question
February 12, 2018 11:34AM
I've just joined the community, purchased a plot of land and have 10 different varieties of apples ready to be planted as soon as the soil's ready in Cortland County, NY - I'm excited to get started and excited to be a part of this wonderful community of folks trying to find better ways of growing trees and tree fruit! I'm particularly interested in contributing/taking part in the tests and trials of specific holistic approaches, and would love to connect with you if that's something you do.

My specific question at this juncture is, can anyone orient me toward the best way of staying abreast of conversations in this forum? Is there a way to sign up for a daily digest email of new posts, or another effective approach other than clicking through each of the various sub-forums and folders for new posts? The Portal Page looks like a useful start - is that what most folks use?

Thanks for any advice on this question - looking forward to years of collaboration going forward!

Willet, NY (Zone 5a)
100 semi-dwarf trees to be planted April 2018
(Farm name TBA)
Re: Hello and a question
February 13, 2018 10:18AM
Welcome to our forum, Graham. I'll be writing you privately as well to talk further about membership benefits. I so appreciate when forum participants take that next step and recognize that a small degree of financial support from many is what keeps the wheels turning here.

Now to stir my own memory as to how we do stuff within the online community of the network. I personally use the portal page to watch for forum activity. Watch both Hot Topics and Categories (which show date upticks) to see when someone makes a new post or replies to an existing thread. Just as pertinently read the How to Use This Site page. I know we are a culture where reading directions is seen as passé . . . yet what you asking about -- the ability to sign up to be notified of recent activity -- is tackled under the paragraph Keeping Up on that very page. And then there's the part of the forum for Making It Better where others have contributed words to explain stuff in yet new ways.

Growing stuff. What a good time of year to talk about just that!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 05:47PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Hello and a question
February 15, 2018 09:57PM
Welcome Graham to our holistic circle of fruit growing friends!

Congratulations on both your land purchase and your first 100 trees going in the ground in March.

If you find a topic you are interested in, subscribe to it so that you can be notified of updates. Under the "Control Center" tab (top right corner) you can select "Forum Subscriptions" (in the options list on the left hand side) and when the next screen opens look for the area called "What should be emailed" and then select the areas you wish to be notified of . . . The choice is defaulted to "nothing", but you can select by drop down either "New Threads and Replis" or "New Threads" only . . . plus you can play with the "how often" option too.

Cheers to a successful orchard begining for you and yours in 2018

Paul

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login