Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

20% vinegar

Posted by David Doncaster 
20% vinegar
April 18, 2018 10:35AM
Can anyone tell me if 20% vinegar has been made a registered herbicide in the US as it has been in Canada . At $125 per 5 liters is it worth a trip across the border ?

David

Hillview Heritage Farm
Zone 5*in British Columbia
Re: 20% vinegar
April 18, 2018 02:09PM
Fascinating question. First, why are you trying to kill vegetation in the first place, (given Michael's enthusiasm for a robust ecosystem) Second, why does 20% vinegar cost $125 in the first place? And is there any way to brew your own vinegar from cyder, with a higher percentage of acetic acid than 5%? (And is there an easy way of converting X% of EtOH to Y% of acetic acid?)

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
April 18, 2018 04:12PM
Well David , some weeds you just don't want ,Rush Skeleton weed , Scotch Thistle . These guys have made the gov. most unwanted list . If I ignore them the local authorities will come do it at great expence and with stuff I don't want on the property . The poison Ivy , I'm just getting tired of finding it's new hiding spots . These you usually find when you get caught short in the middle of the orchard and just aren't going to make it back to the house . I was able to manage it some before with the vinegar .

As for the vinegar it's self , someone registered it about 5yrs ago and that is now the asking price .

I've been looking in to making my own but it has been suggested that the best I might do is like wine maybe 15 to 17 % . But still looking .

David

Hillview Heritage Farm
Zone 5*in British Columbia
April 18, 2018 05:22PM
Makes eminent sense.

If you start with 16% alcohol, and convert it into acetic acid, do you get 16% acetic acid (vinegar)? (My gut feeling is , "No", but I would have devote a lot more mental energy to the question than I feel up to just now.) And, if so, is there any evidence that 16% vinegar is any less effective than 20%? (I presume that there is some evidence that 20% is more effective than 5%...)

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
April 20, 2018 07:45AM
David Maxwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you start with 16% alcohol, and convert it into
> acetic acid, do you get 16% acetic acid (vinegar)?

The answer to that one is approximately, yes. But I guess we don't need absolute precision here...
So, I guess one way to make it at home would be to start with a concentrated juice (maybe concentrated in a similar way as for ice cider) or with a highly chaptalised juice, ferment this to about 15 to 17 alcohol, which is the maximum yeast will go - you'd probably need to use special yeast often called "turbo yeast" which are more tolerant to alcohol.
Then I would bring the cider to over 20% ABV by addition of bought high ABV alcohol.
And finally transform the mixture into vinegar.

Lots of fun in perspective!

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
October 29, 2018 08:47PM
Just saw this yesterday in Seven Springs Farm catalog. They now carry 30% vinegar and it's only $21/gallon. The note in the catalog says, "Expected to be registered with the EPA next year for use as a herbicide. OMRI Listed" Seven Springs is in Virginia and they do ship.

Joanne Patton, Squire Oaks Farm
Zone 6A, Northern Virginia
January 16, 2019 11:26PM
Has anyone used this 30% vinegar with success on thistle or blackberry? Those are our 2 orchard invaders, thistle is especially a problem.

VistaRidge orchard, Quilcene, WA zone 8a est. 2012
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
July 20, 2019 02:46PM
oh how I would love to kill blind weed/morning glory but I think these will be around to end of time.....
Watching this thread!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login