Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

what's wrong with this picture?

Posted by Michael Phillips 
what's wrong with this picture?
October 23, 2018 07:59AM
West Virginia National Guard Invests More than $5 Million to Grow Apple Trees on a Mine Site
http://www.wvpublic.org/post/wva-national-guard-invests-more-5-million-grow-apple-trees-mine-site

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Re: what's wrong with this picture?
November 04, 2018 08:06AM
Lets see.... looks like poor sandy soil, no irrigation/fertigation system in place, and it looks like these tree's are spaced too closely together, even for a high density trellis orchard. Many are already dead by the looks of it.

Yup, all it would take would be a 6 week drought in July/August and they would all be toast !! LOL

Brampton Lake Orchards

Zone 4a Upper Michigan
November 04, 2018 11:59AM
I agree with your horticultural observations, Pat. It looks like the potential fruiting wall created by dwarf trees planted two to three feet apart may not be supported by a trellis. My guess is little was done with mycorrhizal inoculation as well, and fungal connection more than anything else is what it will take to establish any plant community on a bulldozed mine site. But what especially bugs me here is that 5 million dollars can be spent on non-farmers when so many community orchardists could take a $50,000 or so infrastructure boost and actually do something to further secure regional food security. The marketing plan for this mountain-top juice orchard to compete against Chinese concentrate is also completely suspect . . . as if production costs will come anywhere near being covered. But at least the National Guard can do the spraying with fighter jets!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
November 04, 2018 12:16PM
No doubt this "project" will end up just like the other one referenced in the article.......a complete loss !!!

Brampton Lake Orchards

Zone 4a Upper Michigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login