Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Using Cedar Wood Posts in Orchard

Posted by Brandt Schisler 
Using Cedar Wood Posts in Orchard
June 25, 2019 03:19AM
Hello,

With the obvious issues of Cedar Apple Rust present with live cedar trees near an orchard, does anyone know the cause and effect of using harvested cedar posts in an orchard? Obviously all of the branches and 'green' of the tree will not be present, but didn't know if it could still cause problems?

Thanks,
Brandt
Re: Using Cedar Wood Posts in Orchard
July 21, 2019 01:55AM
Many orchards here use them. They burn the ends before the bury/pound them in.
January 09, 2020 12:34AM
Brandt,

We have had red cedar posts in the orchard for the past 8 years and have not had any cedar apple rust (this could be based on the fact that we cut the red cedar down to make the posts....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. I would agree with Gloria, you may want to char the ends to slow the rotting down.

Thanks,

John K
April 28, 2020 07:59AM
Yes cutting down the Cedars is absolutely the best way to control CAR.
Funny thing, I am very heavily populated on two sides by Red Cedar, private timber land, and I was very worried about this when I first started growing apples, 1993. As time went on.... no problem. Then about 5 years ago I started getting the Asiatic form of CAR on one variety of my Asian Pears, the next year very heavily. This was in a certified organic block and localized to Mishirasu only so I figured I would give it one more year. Never saw it again!

Leslie Price
Jones Creek Farms
skagitvalleyfruit.com
Lyman, WA
zone 8a
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login