Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Bacterias in apples we eat

Posted by Claude Jolicoeur 
Bacterias in apples we eat
October 14, 2019 07:45PM
Not too sure in which topic this should go... So I guess the "Just talk" will be good for this.
This is a research where they analysed the bacterial fauna in organically grown apples vs conventionally grown. It is very "university research paper" and quite difficult to follow for someone who didn't make a ph.d in the field. But nonetheless the conclusions are interesting...
[www.frontiersin.org]

Hope everyone is very busy these days getting the apples in. For my part in Quebec, the crop is a bit slim but I'll still be able to make decent cider. It had to happen after 3 years in a row with bumper crops.

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Re: Bacterias in apples we eat
October 15, 2019 02:36PM
Interesting article.
What I find intriguing is how this relates to the spray regime. Organic agriculture is often criticized for using a higher total number of sprays to combat pest and disease (it often does). Sulfur in particular. The resident bacteria in apples apparently has not suffered. A conclusion then is that a smaller number of more questional substances common in IPM and "conventional ag" is more detrimental than a higher number of approved organic sprays. Arlet, the apple used is susceptible to both scab and powdery mildew, so a fair amount of management would be necessary in the location (Austria). This could get very complicated of course. A management approach, like organic, may possibly destroy or subdue organisms that are antagonistic to bacteria, or possibly not. And of course, the final point will be which form of balance will be more beneficial to human beings and the environment (granted that these two do not always align). It would be great if we could post any studies that address other forms of life, particularly fungi. What I really found astounding is how rich the bacterial community is in every last part of the apple. Thank goodness these are not pathogenic to humans (and many are helpful) because as you will read, they are active everywhere, so no amount of hygiene would eliminate them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login