Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Who is that noob asking dumb questions?

Posted by James Smith 
Who is that noob asking dumb questions?
January 11, 2021 04:47AM
Hello all. I didn't see an Introduction section, nor a Just Boring Talk, so I thought it best to post here.

Two years ago I purchased twenty acres in the Okanogan Valley of Washington state that came with nine acres of apples, Red and Golden Delicious, and ten acres of hay. Care of the orchard was leased out to a neighbouring orchardist who sent the crop to a packing shed, so all I was tasked with was irrigating. I had previously farmed ten acres of nice sandy loam, raising a variety of vegetables, primarily garlic, along with strawberries, hogs, and chickens all without the use of pesticides. So it was quite a change to suddenly live where an airblast would rain a cocktail of conventional chemicals on us. Nor was it much fun just being basically a waterboy, so I've been planning a new course. Last year I began keeping bees and have now decided to make my property a sanctuary for them. I was trying to figure out how I could keep the apples without the chemicals when I had the good fortune to stumble upon 'The Holistic Orchard'. I then immediately ordered 'The Apple Grower' from HON and have been devouring the tomes, and am now privileged to participate in the forum. This is the direction I wish to go and the orchardist and I have mutually agreed to part ways. I have far too many trees for me to care for alone, so I'll be removing some to make room for vegetable crops, after doing a bit of rock farming as we have no shortage of them. I picked up a mill and press, so I want to move towards cider varieties, offering apples and sweet cider to the public and cider apples to cideries. Needless to say, I'm a novice who is jumping into the deep end of the pool. Thanks in advance for any insight and direction the forum provides, and I hope I can be an asset as well.

Washington Okanogan Valley
Zone 6b

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 05:44PM by James Smith.
Re: Who is that noob asking dumb questions?
January 11, 2021 10:12PM
Welcome to our grower's forum, James. Sounds like you have some topworking to do in that comeback orchard of yours.

As for being a noob... I like your enthusiasm to dive right on in! You're one who has taken on "deferential silence" appropriately, as eloquently stated by Brittany in a recent comment (fourth reply down) concerning gumption to join the fray. Bouncing around ideas and asking questions is how we all continue to learn.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
January 12, 2021 05:14AM
Thank you for the welcome Michael, and thank you for authoring the books and championing the cause. You signed my copy of 'The Apple Grower' with "You can do this!" to which I say is "I have to!" To show how much of a noob I am I had to look up topworking, and yes I do. I'm still mulling over how to go about things, as once I remove a tree it's gone. I'm considering topworking every other tree in a row, and once the grafted trees establish to remove the trees that weren't grafted. Meanwhile I have to source scions and pick up some grafting tools and supplies. Then practice, practice, practice.

I was asked in another thread I started to describe my orchard. I felt it best to do so her just to keep things better organised. My orchard comprises about 9 acres. Counting blocks and doing some math I estimated it has approximately 1500 trees. Topography is mostly flat, I do have some trees on slope. Rows are about 20 feet apart, trees about 10 feet apart in the row. Height is about 20 feet.

Let's see if I can get a photo in:

It works if you click on URL

Zone 6b

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 05:44AM by James Smith.
January 12, 2021 05:36PM

I'm testing what went awry with your image link, James. The first instance is directly pasting in image address into message; the second is using the image button in the menu bar and pasting in image URL there.

Both work brilliantly. Now let's see what happens with your image link, again using both approaches:

[ibb.co]

Needless to say, I'll ask the guru!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
January 12, 2021 05:55PM
On another forum (BBQ related) I post a lot of pictures, Michael, however there when I click the 'Insert Image' button I'm prompted to upload a photo. Here I was prompted to post the URL of the photo. Hmmm, what's a technologically challenged (interpret that as an 'old guy') to do, especially when one lacks grandchildren! I tried two hosts, Google Photos and ImgBB. I had similar results with both, but discovered that if I clicked on 'open image URL' I could see the picture. Hopefully it works for you as well. Meanwhile, I'll see about getting better educated (read trial, error, trial, error, trial, and hopefully success at some point!)

Zone 6b
January 15, 2021 05:43AM
Here's what's to be learned this time about inserting an image into a forum post... for what it's worth.

The first two are IMAGE FILES posted on my orchard website for purposes of layout on a given page. When the Phorum software sends it to a PHP function (getimagesize) that image is recognized, its parameters deduced, and a thumbnail properly produced.

The URL for an actual image file can look like this:
http://lostnationorchard.com/img/lost-nation-orchard.jpg

Such a link may include an /img/ marker showing in the address of a web page (of sorts) consisting of just the image.
Assume you will at least see .jpg (or another image file type) in the URL... also indicative of a direct link to an image.

The second two are a LINK to where images are posted but not an individual image file. When that link is sent to (getimagesize) the result is not an image, although if the link itself is clicked, an image will be subsequently produced.

The URL for a site where images are posted can look much simpler:
https://ibb.co/r4JxCXy

This query produces a page... containing the image... but it's a query that Phorum is not set up to handle, nor should it be.
This is a VERY different process, under the control of the photo sharing site.

Michael Potts recommended Photobucket in this previous post about inserting images. Still, you had to opt to insert the direct link in order to see a thumbnail in the forum post.

So, when an image is properly posted, all's well. When an alternative methodology for presenting an image indirectly is submitted, it fails.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2021 01:16AM by Michael Phillips.
January 15, 2021 05:57AM
This might help you even more, James. I opened your LINK on ImgBB... and then I right-clicked on the image you posted... and chose 'Copy image address' from the mouse menu. Now I am simply pasting that URL here:

And for purposes of analyzing the full direct link to your image, you will find what's said above to be true:
https://i.ibb.co/f47khT0/IMG-0625.jpg

Houston, we have a thumbnail.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2021 05:59AM by Michael Phillips.
January 25, 2021 08:48AM
Hi James, welcome to the forum! We already met on another thread but I'm curious, what varieties are you going to top graft/work your trees to? I would suggest that you look into putting some of your acres into cider apples. That's the direction we went when we put our orchard in, the demand just keeps growing here west of the Cascades. We can also help with cider scion if you ever venture West!

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
January 26, 2021 06:26PM
Michael,

I'm still working on the photo issue, however I believe I understand your directions. We'll see, eh? ;-)

Also your DVD arrived a couple of days ago. I popped it into the computer to watch it and it seems that Windows Media Player no longer supports DVDs, so they want me to purchase their DVD player. So I have yet to get around to hooking up my old DVD player so i can watch it, but am very much looking forward to it.

Karen,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am indeed interested in putting in cider varieties, and can use all the help I can get! I'm one who is known for saying, "If I could figure out a way to never go past the end of my driveway I'd do it." However, I'm not afraid to travel, especially for what I need. I Googled where you are, right now 20 is closed for the season, which would be preferred especially since my wife hasn't gone that way and it is the most beautiful stretch of highway I've experienced in Washington and would like her to see it. Google suggests 97 to 90 to Tacoma and then up as the quickest way as opposed to the 60 miles shorter way of 2. But do let's talk.

Zone 6b
January 28, 2021 07:38AM
James, the beauty of this forum is the meeting of and helping other like-minded orchardists! We have shared scion with another expanding local orchard, met here on this forum and we are happy to share with you if you care to make the journey. Sending you a PM as the rest of the community probably don't want those details!

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
January 28, 2021 08:52AM
Thank you, Karen. I sent you a PM with my contact information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login