Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

arbuscular cider

Posted by Michael Phillips 
arbuscular cider
March 21, 2016 05:02PM
One of the fun things about writing a next book is that you really need to talk to knowledgeable people about stuff. Enter David Read, who no doubt is not a knight in real life yet I might dub him 'Sir David' given his distinguished lifetime spent studying Mycorrhizal Symbiosis. (And he's British of course, which seals the deal.) Anyhow, this professor emeritus mentions to me that his grad students have performed some especially important research. Cider was made from apples from trees inoculated with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and from apples that were not. Tastings were done. Prodigious tastings, as a matter of fact. Science can now irrevocably state that "arbuscular cider" holds glorious sway over the non-fungal swill.

I know ... not everyone is going to be versed in mycorrhizal understanding ... so let's just say "NATURALLY GROWN AND HUMOR" shows the way yet again! And come the end of this year you can learn more about what you really need to know concerning growing healthy cider apples from the fungal perspective.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Re: arbuscular cider
March 22, 2016 11:56AM
That is interesting....we are getting ready to plant trees next month and were planning on using a mycorrhizal inoculum . Wonder does it matter if it is a gel or a powder?

Joanne

G2V Farm
Zone 5B/6
Gaspereau Valley, Nova Scotia
Canada
March 22, 2016 12:14PM
Also can anyone on the list recommend a source for mycorrhizal inoculant in Eastern Canada?

j.
March 22, 2016 01:03PM
The Gardener's Pantry in Victoria, BC, sells them. LaHave River Berry Farm near Lunenburg has "Myke" Pro Nursery WP, and Myke Tree and Shrub - (is that what you are looking for?)

Of more interest to me, though, is whether there is a need to inoculate the soil - aren't the mycorrhizal fungi already present in healthy soils?

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
March 22, 2016 01:16PM
I understood that it may be but that the trees we are getting are not likely to have been grown in soil that has it present?

j.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login