Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Cider apple trials in Quebec

Posted by Claude Jolicoeur 
Cider apple trials in Quebec
April 08, 2020 03:35PM
I guess this is mostly relevant for those in Quebec and maybe in other cold areas in Canada and the US...
In these times of confinement, there is more time for doing things we have procastinated... Thus I have made a major update on the page about cider apple varieties on my website.
If interested, please have a look: [www.cjoliprsf.ca]
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Re: Cider apple trials in Quebec
April 09, 2020 09:20AM
Well done, Claude! It's good to have some French introduced to our apple conversations. I like that Pommette d'Olaf has a history in Quebec cider making. The one apple I have from your repertoire is Banane amère but these two trees have yet to bear.

I'll just share with others what you told me recently about the viral quarantine in Quebec province. Claude lives in Quebec City but his orchard lies an hour or so to the east, on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River. He's currently not allowed to go there. I can't imagine that limitation right now as it's being with my trees that is keeping me sane!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
April 09, 2020 10:48AM
Michael Phillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one apple I have from your repertoire
> is Banane amère but these two trees have yet to
> bear.

Yes, apparently Banane amère is not a young bearer. It takes its time, but then will live long...
Another one that seems to be a "I am not in a hurry to start producing" variety is Harrison. I am hoping for a first crop this year.

>
> I'll just share with others what you told me
> recently about the viral quarantine in Quebec
> province. Claude lives in Quebec City but his
> orchard lies an hour or so to the east, on the
> north shore of the St. Lawrence River. He's
> currently not allowed to go there. I can't imagine
> that limitation right now as it's being with my
> trees that is keeping me sane!

Thanks for your empathy... There is still quite a bit of snow out there at the orchard so not that much to do. And in any case, I should have been in Europe at this time for a major cider fair in Frankfurt, so would not be at the orchard anyway!

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
April 22, 2020 04:29PM
Yikes, not able to go to your orchard?

I have the same experience with Harrison, 3 planted in 2013 and only a few apples on each every year so far.

Loved the wild apple forest photos!

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login