Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Virgina Hewe's crabapple

Posted by Craig Bickle 
Virgina Hewe's crabapple
April 27, 2021 03:47PM
I started an orchard with apples (logically) about 5 years ago and only recently got around to planting a crabapple. I know.. "the second best time to plant a tree..."

But I finally did get a Virginia Hewe's established in a favorable spot this spring. Any thoughts on how this fruit will contribute to cider?

And while I'm asking, I think I talked my partner into letting me plant another crab next year, not only for the eventual fruit quality but also to help pollinate my experimental plots. In these early mini-orchards I didn't pay much attention to making sure whether the trees planted nearby to their neighbors would do well at pollinating one another. (Another one of those things I realized only later why all the books make such a fuss about.) So a prolific pollinator would be an asset.

Craig
Hap Woods
Zone 6a
East-Central Ohio
Re: Virgina Hewe's crabapple
June 08, 2021 09:22PM
Update: I'm getting an Evereste! drinking smiley

Next, I need to pick a pear appropriate for future perrys winking smiley
But I also need to devote some time to reading old posts before jumping in with more newbie questions. Maybe this has already been covered elsewhere..

Later!

Craig Bickle
Hap Woods
Zone 6a
East-Central Ohio
September 20, 2021 07:03PM
Update: we ordered a Wickson! >grinning smiley<
November 08, 2021 05:16PM
Hudson River valley zone 5B.

I love my Hewes trees. I have three of them that just finished their fifth season. The trees are among the most vigorous in the orchard. Naturally form very wide crotch angles and a spreading vs tall tree. First trees to bear fruit (3 yrs on mm111). Lots of golf ball sized fruit. Sweet, slightly tart, mildly bitter. Seems like a perfectly balanced apple. Some watercoring. I havent gotten enough for a full press but I anticipate that it will be a very good contributor.

Very early ripening, and I will bet you could ferment it on its own or with other early bittersweets and blend in later ripening must.

I grafted a bunch more that I will be planting in the spring.

Wickson - got my first crop this year (5th leaf). Three trees. Every apple rotted by late sept / early October. The ones I tasted prior to rotting had no acidity and were bitter, which is curious given that the are described as a sharp.
November 08, 2021 05:31PM
Thanks for the report, Jon. It will be a few years yet before I have either Hewes or Wickson crabs to taste in my Ohio orchard. But looking forward to the experience!

Craig Bickle
Hap Woods
Zone 6a
East-Central Ohio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login