Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Aromatnaya

Posted by Terence Welch 
Aromatnaya
November 10, 2012 12:01PM
We planted 20 grafted trees of Aromatnaya in the swampiest part of our orchard on mounds in spring 2012. Our spring was not particularly wet, so we didn't get to see how scab susceptible they are. I cut fireblighted twigs out of 25% of the trees! The trees grew vigorously, and were 6 to 8' tall by the end of the season. We harvested 4 fruit. Although alledgedly edible out of hand, so far they seem highly acidic. They also don't seem as aromatic as our hundred year old quince trees, which may be the variety Orange. With 4 fruit, we won't have enough to see if they mellow out in cold storage, or how they behave generally post harvest. Does anyone else have experience with handling this fruit post harvest?

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
Update on Aromatnaya
July 19, 2013 04:35PM
After removing fireblight from 25% of our 2 Aromatnaya trees in Spring 2012, I pruned it out of 100% of the Aromatnayas in Spring 2013. It was a warm spring, which fireblight loved, infecting all the pome fruit except Warren Pears. The Aromatnaya bloomed 4 weeks after the "Orange", and are growing very vigorously. All conditions (except rain) favored development of the disease. Has anyone found varieties of Quince which are less susceptible to fireblight?

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
Re: Update on Aromatnaya
March 18, 2016 11:38AM
A very late response to Terrence's question about fireblight susceptibility. I am not sure how much is a function of our location, but even last year, when 80% of apple growers in Nova Scotia, (which until recent years was fire blight free) experienced major losses in the wake of Hurricane Arthur, (which damaged the trees and simultaneously seeded the bacteria), my Quince of Portugal tree showed no sign whatsoever of fireblight.

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login