Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Best spray strategy for SWD and cane borers?

Posted by Ethan Gouge 
Best spray strategy for SWD and cane borers?
May 18, 2017 09:11PM
I'm thinking about a neem spray to keep SWD and cane borers off my berries in conjunction with better cultural practices (timely harvest and cane removal)I lost 1/3 of the crop to SWD last year and borers have killed 1/2 my canes that should be bearing this year. I know ingestion is required for neem to work generationally that might help with SWD larva, but there is a repellant aspect as well for borers similar to apple tree borers. However, I can't apply a concentration over 5% to keep from burning the leaves. Is this the best route? I don't know if I can stomach even organic broad spectrum insecticides, but what are some other options out there?

Roan Highlands Farm 6b, Roan Mountain, TN elevation: 3200 ft.
Re: Best spray strategy for SWD and cane borers?
May 19, 2017 05:37AM
I don't have any experience with spraying neem for SWD, but I would be concerned about flavor impacts on the berries. One of the difficulties with SWD is that it shows up just as fruit are ready to be eaten by humans. Neem has a pretty distinct aroma that might clash with berry!
May 19, 2017 05:39AM
Sorry- I missed your parallel post on the topic of the flavor impacts of neem.
May 19, 2017 07:08AM
Honestly, unless you want to spray every 3-5 days rotating Entrust and Pyganic, the only "real" control is netting. SWD have a short generational cycle and even conventional insecticides don't keep it at bay very long. You could try trapouts using baited traps, but that is also only marginally effective. Cane borers are easier and don't require spraying - though if you are spraying for SWD you might have some impact on them late rin the season. Earlier season sprays of Entrust could be impactful - though cane borer is not on the label. In any case, remove the infested portions of the cane and burn or throw away.That's your best bet. Similar for SWD, remove and destroy infested fruitlets when you find them during harvest - don't throw them on the ground.

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
May 19, 2017 12:06PM
Refrigeration of berries can also be helpful. Even though the SWD eggs may already be in the fruit, they will be killed by cold and not turn into maggots. Rigorous consumer testing reveals that most of us prefer eating eggs to maggots!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login