Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Zone 6 in The South: To be, or not to be

Posted by Rob Anderson 
Zone 6 in The South: To be, or not to be
June 28, 2018 09:38AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting serious about investing in a piece of fallow land here near Boone, NC, in zone 6a. I'd like to get a feel from everyone here what the reality is about growing in this area. The OG certifying agents I've talked with are fairly discouraging concerning the success of an organic orchard this far south, due to the myriad diseases that accompany the climate.

Is there potential here, in zone 6 of The South, for a thriving holistic orchard?

Zone 6a in North Carolina
Re: Zone 6 in The South: To be, or not to be
June 29, 2018 01:56PM
Hi Rob,

I do not have any first-hand experience of Organic Growing in NC, but I am glad you are talking with some of the local/regional certifying agents and their respective agencies. That will be some valuable perspective. I would recommend that you ask them for some names of other organic fruit growers in their area that they have worked with and see if you can set up a visit with those growers. . . That should be an easy request for them and I would expect they would be happy to help facilitate a meeting for you.

Id also recommend that you look for organizations outside of the government for advisory and networking.

For example, [www.newsproutfarms.com]

As an aside, I would be looking into varieties that are as disease resistant as you can get -- as they pertain to the primary issues you expect to encounter there in Boone, NC.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login