Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Sorbus - Service Tree

Posted by Claude Jolicoeur 
Sorbus - Service Tree
April 20, 2018 07:30AM
I am just back from Frankfurt in Germany where I attended a big Fair (Cider World 18). Took the opportunity to visit a number of cideries and one of the interesting feature of the traditional cider making there is the use of small quantity of sorbus fruit in the cider. They call it Speierling. The fruit is juiced and added during the fermentation. This juice is very high in tannin and it seems adding it helps in the clarification of the cider, and also in its keeping properties.

This species is Sorbus domestica. The fruit is quite large and looks a bit like a small apple or pear depending on the variety. Here in Quebec, we have a lot of Sorbus americana, a related species, but with much smaller fruit.

I am thus wondering if anyone knows of source and/or of information about the true speierling in North America... I am not sure it would be hardy in my climate, but I'd be curious to try it.

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Re: Sorbus - Service Tree
April 23, 2018 06:54PM
Hi Claude,

I'll bet you had a time and a half at that Cider Fair!

I occationally see Sorbus domestica listed for sale from specialty nurseries. One source that comes to mind is One Green World in Oregon. They offer two versions of the tree with larger fruit. They call them the "apple form" and the "pear form" -- as a means of describing the resulting fruits look only.

[onegreenworld.com]

[onegreenworld.com]

The claim to be hardy to -30F (-34C) . . . Go for it!

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
April 24, 2018 09:10PM
Paul Weir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet you had a time and a half at that Cider Fair!

Yes, lots of fun!

> I occationally see Sorbus domestica listed for
> sale from specialty nurseries. One source that
> comes to mind is One Green World in Oregon.
> They offer two versions of the tree with larger
> fruit. They call them the "apple form" and the
> "pear form" -- as a means of describing the
> resulting fruits look only.

I have looked at the descriptions from One Green World... They say:
Size at Maturity: 15-20 ft. in height
Yield: 30-40 lbs.

Now, I have seen one that was a good 60 feet high and was told its yield was around a ton every year. Which means that One Green World are quite off their track...

I have taken a few quite spectacular pictures in the orchards over there, and regrouped them in an album...
See [photos.app.goo.gl]
The 2 first pictures of the album are of the service tree mentioned above.

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
February 07, 2019 11:09AM
I have been collecting and propagating Sorbus domestica seed from a few old trees in Sebastopol, California at the former Burbank Gold Ridge experimental farm where there are a few unbelievably productive trees. It's a bit slow to germinate and get established but then becomes a very tough, long lived and resilient tree. And to confirm Claude's note regarding size, they are large trees, 50-60 ft. A highly under appreciated fruit in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 11:15AM by Spencer Woodard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login