Shipova
April 26, 2014 08:25PM
Is there anyone growing Shipova? I have 5 trees that have taken 6 years to start fruiting but the fruit has been worth it. A very sweet pear flavor but the flesh has a smoother texture then the pear. Lee Reich had a great write up on them in his book but there is still a lot of unknowns about cultural practices. I would like to hear what others are using for pollinators? I have figured out what doesn't work. Orcas pear has been my closet pear to bloom time and using a Mt. Ash like most of the nursery catalogs suggest isn't even close. They are somewhat self fruitful but I am hoping to increase production with other pollinators

Jeb Thurow
Zone 7 Wa
Re: Shipova
April 28, 2014 03:59AM
I am glad to hear that the fruit quality is good. I have a 4-year old tree that has grown slowly and not bloomed yet, plus a "baby shipova" planted last year. I am going to up the fertility on the older one but am concerned about fire blight. There are a dozen pears nearby for pollination once they bloom. Lee Reich told me that production has been erratic for him.

Hemlock Grove Farm
Zone 5 in New York
Re: Shipova
February 07, 2019 11:04AM
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding rootstock for Shipova? I recently picked up scions. I was curious about possible compatibility with Aronia, Crataegus and Pseudocydonia as rootstock as I have these available this season.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login