Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

labeling grafts

Posted by Fabio Chizzola 
labeling grafts
November 03, 2016 06:45PM
I've been grafting some of my trees with 5-10 different apple varieties on the same tree and I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to keep track, on the tree, record of the varieties grafted. I tried a couple of different ways but I'm not happy with either one and wondering if anyone has a good and durable way.

Westwind Orchard
Zone 5b in New York
Re: labeling grafts
November 03, 2016 08:24PM
Hello Fabio,
Did you make your trip to visit cideries in Italy yet?
As of recording graft location, I have quite a number of multiple variety tree. I work with cardinal direction and height of branch. Height is recorded as low, medium-low, medium, medium-high, high, very-high, and head
So for example, ML-SSW is a medium-low branch facing in the direction South-South-West. In 30 years of doing such grafting, this system never failed.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
November 03, 2016 08:30PM
I have settled on labels cut from vinyl siding, engraved with a an engraver, followed by rubbing with a pencil, (to deposit graphite into the engraved letters). The graphite does not fade with time at all, and the vinyl labels seem to be very durable, (in contrast to everything I used previously over the last 40 years). The labels are then attached to the branch or tree with aluminum wire, threaded through a hole in the label and looped around the branch with lots of slack to allow growth. (Neither galvanised wire, nor copper wire lasted more than a year or so, but the aluminum seems to be both very easy to work with and very durable.)

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
November 04, 2016 07:02PM
THank you for the feed back!!
Claude I'll be going to Europe early next year....

Westwind Orchard
Zone 5b in New York
November 05, 2016 01:30PM
My method for all trees now, but especially multigrafted topworks like those mentioned, is metal tagging. I cut aluminum flashing and emboss them with a steel stamp kit. Formerly I did so with a lettered kit, but currently all mine are number labeled. This works especially well for those trying to keep records of particular trees or grafts. I have digital and notebook backups of them all. So it'd look like this- #957 : court pendu plat, grafted 5/14, selkirk rootstock... ad nauseam..in the notes. A wire, ideally coated (electric ground wire is ideal) is punched through the tag and VERY loosely looped around a branch or graft. This process is easy, cheap, and forever. I know a number doesn't help in the field if you have a lot of varieties to remember, but the numbering system can be tree or graft specific. I routinely use an industrial sharpy (not the regular sharpy which fades quickly) on the other side of the tag, but if it fades (pencil does indeed last longest, but can rub off), I always have the punched number to rely on.

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont
November 28, 2016 11:01PM
Fabio ,

Avery Lable has a weather proof address label #5520 . In Canada about $55 for 1500 labels . Use a laser printer to print . These I stick to either a regular gardening ID strip ( a plastic strip with a hole on one end so you can make a loop ) or my growers supply also had " cardboard " tags with wires to attach to plants or trees . I'm at 5yrs and counting . The mice were a little hard on the ones low enough to reach .

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login