Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Beeswax as bench graft sealer

Posted by Trevon Unruh 
Beeswax as bench graft sealer
March 10, 2018 12:24PM
Has anyone used beeswax as a bench graft sealer? I've used Treekote asphalt emulsion in the past with great success but beeswax seems to be a more organic way to go. I've just started grafting and I melt the wax in a small crock pot seams to be working great!

Zone 3-4? North Dakota
Re: Beeswax as bench graft sealer
March 10, 2018 06:13PM
Yes, it works great but more work because you need to maintain it liquid on the field.

Westwind Orchard
Zone 5b in New York
March 11, 2018 08:26PM
I use Parafilm. It is great.
I have used in the past some wax and some asphalt emulsion, and Parafilm beats them all by a long margin.
See [www.amazon.com]
One roll lasts forefer... You need 1 inch length per graft, so a 125 feet roll is good for 125 x 12 grafts.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
March 12, 2018 07:53AM
The beeswax would be lovely to work with in a bench graft setting, Trevon, with its delightful smell. The fact that you can have a small crock pot on hand in the greenhouse or wherever you are grafting bare rootstock is what makes this doable. Field applications are a whole other ball of wax . . . now where did that expression come from, I wonder?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
March 12, 2018 01:50PM
I use beeswax when I bench graft. If you keep bees it's readily available. Just be careful to keep your scion tips from sticking together until they really dry completely. Makes for a mess!

Topworking I use Doc Farwell's. Just hit your tips 3 or 4 times to make sure they are totally covered.

Last year I starting using grafting clay to seal the cuts and inserted scions. Works great.

All new trees are good trees!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login