Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

frozen scionwood

Posted by David Mobley 
frozen scionwood
March 04, 2019 04:58PM
I just received in the mail scionwood. It was mailed 02/28 from New York. Upon opening, I realized there was frost on the ends and the paper towel it was wrapped in was frozen. Worst case scenario it has been frozen 4 days. I placed it in the refrigerator to allow a slow thaw. Do I need to be concerned it has been damaged so it will not take if I go ahead and use when grafting??? Any suggestioins are appreciated. I am located in NE Missouri.
Thanks.
David
Re: frozen scionwood
March 04, 2019 07:40PM
Probably not. My first year, I stored budwood on my covered outdoor cellar stairs when it got into the teens over the few weeks I stored the wood - not every day but often enough. Didn't seem to do any damage. However, the best way to tell is to cut an inch or so below the frosted tips (after thaw) and see if the wood looks a nice vibrant green or if its off-colored (water-soaked) or even brown. If the color looks good, then you're likely in the clear. If not and it got sufficiently frozen the color of the wood will tell you. But I suspect your budwood is ok.

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
Re: frozen scionwood
March 04, 2019 11:04PM
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login