Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

intergenus grafting

Posted by Robbie Anderman 
intergenus grafting
May 07, 2013 03:56AM
Does anyone have any experience with pear grafted on wild apple ?
We have 2 that are 3 years old now.... doing well, yet I wonder.... will it last?
Or will it eventually fail, as I've read somewhere, ???

thanks
Robbie

Morninglory Farm
Zone 3b* in Ontario

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 03:41PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: Grafting
May 07, 2013 07:05AM
I have done quite a bit of intergenus grafts about 20 years ago. I did harvest pears in an apple tree. I also grafted pears on hawthorn.
All eventually died... The longest to live lasted about 10 years.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Author, The New Cider Maker's Handbook
May 07, 2013 02:38PM
In grafting different genus, I have had similar experiences to those mentioned by Claude. Hawthorn for instance takes pear for a while before delayed incompatibility rears its head. Ditto for pear on apple. I am going to attempt using the "Winter Banana" cultivar as an interstem this week, as I keep coming across success stories using it (I am not sure of the mechanism, but nature loves to befuddle us). It would be nice, as there are no perfect choices for a cold hardy pear rootstock.

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont
May 07, 2013 09:18PM
Thanks for your replies, Claude and Todd. It's great to hear others' experiences with these affairs. I read your writings to my son, Ethan, who did the pear on apple grafting. He was not delighted, tho' assented to the obvious. I guess we see how long they stay on their rootstock....

As for choices for cold hardy pear rootstock. We've been using pyrus ussuriensis (Harbin pear) here in Zone 3b in the hills west of Ottawa Ontario for 27 years. The trees they do grow tall. What I can't reach I shake and eat soon..... or juice. We now have 13 varieties of hardy pears growing on them, including some unnamed varieties found on old local trees. The only problem has been some gritty/sandy spots on some of the pears of some of the varieties.

Todd, what has been your experience with Ussuriensis? Why do you say there are no perfect choices for a cold hardy pear rootstock? Are you looking for a dwarf tree? (nothing wrong with that!)

Ure, John, Tait, and Maxie pears all in full bloom today with this heat wave. Quite beautiful, and I'm so grateful for the wild bees. Thank you!

Robbie at Morninglory Farm, Killaloe Ontario
Re: intergenus grafting
May 08, 2013 05:43AM
I have had good experiences with ussuriensis. I am always looking for a bit of diversity, mostly to satisfy customers. Ussuriensis is hardy of course, but apparently pretty subject to pear decline (which I have not seen). So, it would be nice to have some more choices, because folks are asking me. OH/ Farmindale and p. communis have both proved usable so far here but neither are really are tough enough if there is no snow cover. Compare that with the availability for apples and you will see my point. And no, I have no interest in a dwarf pear. But goodness, Robbie, tell your son not to fret, they may live for years. It might be a better world if we all experimented off the beaten path...supposed to be fun isn't it?

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont
May 09, 2013 01:33AM
I was just told by a friend who had been told by an old -timer that grafting apples onto maple will work. My friend didn't get what species of maple, but I'm assuming a red or white as those are the most common hereabouts. He said the gentleman said any "tree that runs a lot of sap". also don't know the longevity of the grafted trees. Sounds interesting.
June 05, 2013 07:25PM
Yes, it's fun!
I'm beginning to imagine that intergenus grafting's main benefit would be to hold gene stock until a suitable root stock is found and grown to good size.
That way, the variety wanted is ready to "pop" on....
or... it's all for fun.
awesome thought for apple to reside on maple!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login