Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

The cider-bush orchard

Posted by Craig Bickle 
The cider-bush orchard
September 28, 2022 03:42PM
So I'm re-reading Claude's book in preparation for cider-making season, as one does. And also looking for tidbits in the orchard planning section that might help me pick varieties and rootstocks for the new section of trees I'm starting next spring.

In so doing, I came across this book recommendation under the heading "The cider-bush orchard", Cider and Juice Apples: Growing and Processing (1988) by Ray Williams. Unfortunately, but predictably, it's out of print. And worse, I can't find a copy anyone is willing to send by inter-library loan!

I see that Cornell has a copy, and the campus is only about a 2.5 hour drive from my Poconos in-laws who I'll be visiting a couple times this fall. But I have to wonder, is it worth a trip to see the book and possibly make copies? From Claude's description, it seems like it describes a middle-path orchard between fully standard trees and intensive dwarf plantings, exactly what I'm looking to plant starting next year.

Anyone seen this book? Would you recommend it as an authoritative source on semi-dwarf/semi-standard rootstocks and varieties?

TIA,

Craig Bickle
Hap Woods
Zone 6a
East-Central Ohio
Re: The cider-bush orchard
September 28, 2022 05:49PM
Craig Bickle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone seen this book? Would you recommend it as
> an authoritative source on
> semi-dwarf/semi-standard rootstocks and varieties?

Well, it is certainly an interesting little book that summarizes the research that has been done on cider and cider apples at the LARS research center in UK.
However, I wouldn't consider it as "an authoritative source" of information... You can propably live without it.
Plus it is mostly relevant for the UK conditions, which are quite different from those in North America.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
Author, The New Cider Maker's Handbook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login